HIGHLIGHT ON

Monday, June 26, 2017
Subscription Centre
Receive our free e-newsletter.
Click here for more information

2016 deadliest year yet for migrants crossing the Mediterranean

Deadly year for migrants crossing the MediterraneanMore migrants were killed crossing the Mediterranean Sea to Europe last year than ever before according to the United Nations migration agency in the region.

At least 363 348 people crossed the sea – mostly to Italy and Greece – but 5 079 additional people were either killed or are missing. The UN International Organisation for Migration (IOM) released its preliminary figures last week, but they are expected to increase with the addition of fatalities from December.

“The probable addition of several hundred more fatalities recorded in 2016 only deepens the tragedy,” said IOM Director General William Lacy Swing.

He added that Europe's frustration with a seemingly endless cycle of migrant rescue followed by reports of shipwrecks and more drownings will continue unless governments throughout the region find a way to manage migration comprehensively.

Swing called for “finding creative means to permit safe, legal and secure migration” which could be done through work visas, family reunification or temporary protected status.

“Instead of doubling down on tactics that don't work, let's use this new year to try something actually new,” he said.

Meanwhile, IOM has carried out its first aid training course Libya with rescuers involving migrant lifesaving operations in the Mediterranean.

The training, part of the Sea and Desert Migration Management for Libyan Authorities to Rescue Migrants (SEA DEMM), was funded by the European Union.

 
....