Journalist dies after hunger strike in Algiers
Rights groups called for an investigation into Mohamed Tamalt's death. Reporters Without Borders said the news was a "hammer blow to all those who defend freedom of information in Algeria".
The 42-year-old blogger and freelance reporter succumbed to a lung infection in hospital in Algiers on Sunday, the prison service said in a statement.
"I can confirm the death of the journalist Mohamed Tamalt in Bab el-Oued hospital after a hunger strike of more than three months and a three-month coma," lawyer Amine Sidhoum said on Facebook.
Tamalt, who was based in London, was arrested in Algeria in June for posts he shared on Facebook seen as critical of Algerian authorities.
READ MOREAngola teenager held for insulting president starts hunger strike
Jailed Egyptian blogger begins hunger strike: lawyer
Jailed Morocco Islamists on hunger strike: campaigners
Placed in pre-trial detention for "offending the president" and "defaming a public authority", he was later given a two-year sentence for offences against a public official, according to Human Rights Watch.
"It is urgent lawyers are allowed access to the journalist's medical dossier," Yasmine Kacha, North Africa director of Reporters Without Borders, said.
"A public apology should be presented to the journalist's family and an investigation immediately opened," she said in a statement.
Algeria's prison service said the hospital was treating Tamalt for a lung infection and he had been receiving daily treatment since beginning his hunger strike in late June.
- North West govt calls for calm in Lichtenburg, Blydeville
- SA Legion provides headstone for sailor’s Durban grave
- Sandu members back at work seven years after Union Buildings protest
- Puntland bomb kills six
- New Milkor shareholder application pending at NCACC
- Military Ombud signs MOU with Public Service Commission
- Journalists take SA government to court over spying
- SAS Amatola almost back in SA
- Defence Sector Charter awaits the attention of the Trade and Industry Minister
- Police arrest suspect in connection with 9 SAI weapons theft
SA landmine detection pioneer in big US defence contract
by DCD Protected Mobility, 21 April 2017
Boksburg-based DCD Protected Mobility will provide more than 20 of its Husky 2G landmine detection vehicles to the US Department of Defence.
Reutech's RSR 904 radar system used in anti-poaching initiatives in Kruger Park
by Reutech, 21 April 2017
The innovative Kruger Park surveillance technology, the Meerkat, stops poachers in their tracks.
Saab signs support contract extension with British Army
by Saab, 13 April 2017
The deal with the UK's Ministry of Defence includes the provision of support and services to the Direct Fire Weapon Effects Simulator capability.