Few leave after Benghazi ceasefire announced
The eastern-based Libyan National Army (LNA) has been besieging the district of Ganfouda for months as it tries to take full control of Benghazi following a military campaign against Islamists and other opponents lasting more than two years.
The fate of families cornered by the fighting has become a major point of contention, with the LNA saying non-combatants are able to leave safely but opponents accusing it of not providing adequate guarantees.
Human rights groups estimate that more than 100 families as well as an unknown number of foreign workers have been trapped for months without access to fresh food by the LNA siege. They also say the Benghazi Revolutionaries Shura Council (BRSC), the LNA's main opponent, is detaining prisoners in the area.
Both sides have been accused of human rights abuses in the conflict.
READ MORENo respite for Libya after IS driven from Sirte
Armed groups mobilise and exchange fire in a tense Tripoli
Three children killed in Benghazi blast
The LNA announced a six-hour ceasefire on Saturday to allow for families to leave. But only seven women and children from two Libyan families, and three Bangladeshi workers, left during the assigned pause in fighting, according to the commander of a local LNA brigade, Wahid al-Zawi, and Red Crescent spokesman Toufik al-Shwaihdi.
Shwaihdi said the families had been evacuated by the brigade, received by the Red Crescent, and then handed over to relatives.
The United Nations has repeatedly called for civilians to be allowed to leave Ganfouda, and Libya's envoy to the United Nations, Martin Kobler, said late on Saturday he was "deeply worried" about their continued presence in the district after the "unilateral" LNA ceasefire.
"Reports of shells being fired and civilians being prevented from leaving are extremely concerning," he said in a statement.
More than five years after long-time ruler Muammar Gaddafi was swept from power in an uprising, Libya remains mired in conflict with competing armed factions vying for power.
The LNA is led by Khalifa Haftar, who has become a figurehead for factions in eastern Libya. They have opposed a half-formed, U.N.-backed government in the capital, Tripoli.
The LNA has made a series of hard-won advances in Benghazi this year, but has been unable to take full control of the city and still faces frequent attacks on its forces.
- India delivers fast patrol vessel to Mauritius
- Debris found in Mauritius is from missing Flight MH370 – Malaysia
- Third successful conviction in 2016 of Somali pirates
- Mauritius operating a third Do 228
- Mauritius raises security level after gunshots fired on French embassy
- Mauritian PM picks son as finance minister
- Mauritius Coast Guard Service commissions ten patrol boats
- First Mauritius coast guard fast attack craft launched in India
- SAS Spioenkop steaming to Sri Lanka after porting in Mauritius
- Mauritius unveils plan to upgrade maritime surveillance capabilities in 2016
Airbus sells its shares in Atlas Elektronik
by AIRBUS Defence & Space, 13 January 2017
The company has entered into an agreement to sell its 49% share in Atlas Elektronik Group to thyssenkrupp.
Thales to equip the French forces with Spy'Ranger mini reconnaissance UAVs
by Thales, 10 January 2017
The mini surveillance and reconnaissance unmanned aerial vehicle has been chosen by the French Defence Procurement Agency.
Saab receives order from FMV for Gripen upgrades
by Saab, 10 January 2017
The order value is approximately SEK 215 million and deliveries will take place between 2017 and 2019.