Algerian Mi-28s break cover
Six of the helicopters were seen at Ain Ouessara Air Base late last month. The Algerian Ministry of National Defence (MDN) said that on 30 August Lieutenant General Ahmed Gaid Salah, Chief of Staff of the People’s National Army, oversaw the execution of a live fire exercise and inspected the helicopters and other equipment at the base.
The helicopters were fitted with N025E mast-mounted radars and pods for 87 mm S-8 rockets. Salah was also seen inspecting a launch tube for either a 9M114 Kokon or 9M120 Ataka air-to-surface missile, reports IHS Jane’s Defence Weekly.
Russia delivered the first two Mi-28NEs in late May out of an order for 42 of the type. Algeria is getting dual control versions of the Mi-28NE, allowing both crewmembers to pilot the aircraft.
Algeria is the third Mi-28NE operator after Iraq and Russia. It has also ordered 14 Mi-26T2 heavy lift helicopters from Russia. The first was delivered in June 2015.
READ MOREMorocco interested in Su-34 jets, Amur-1650 submarines
Ilyushin refurbishing Algerian Il-76s
Russia will conclude Algerian Su-30 deliveries in 2017
- SAAF assisting with firefighting in Western Cape
- New boss for AFB Overberg
- Feature: SA Air Force facing tough times
- New VVIP aircraft still on the table – Mapisa-Nqakula
- SAAF and Special Forces fly the environmental flag for the SANDF
- Will the new VVIP aircraft acquisition become reality?
- Atlantis demonstrates interim maritime surveillance solution to the SAAF
- Questions about SAAF VVIP aircraft posed during oversight visit
- SAAF demonstrates that it trains to fight
- Gallery: SAAF air capability demonstration
Airbus sells its shares in Atlas Elektronik
by AIRBUS Defence & Space, 13 January 2017
The company has entered into an agreement to sell its 49% share in Atlas Elektronik Group to thyssenkrupp.
Thales to equip the French forces with Spy'Ranger mini reconnaissance UAVs
by Thales, 10 January 2017
The mini surveillance and reconnaissance unmanned aerial vehicle has been chosen by the French Defence Procurement Agency.
Saab receives order from FMV for Gripen upgrades
by Saab, 10 January 2017
The order value is approximately SEK 215 million and deliveries will take place between 2017 and 2019.