Italy rescues more than three thousand migrants over weekend
The people were picked up from 25 dinghies and a boat, all north of the Libyan coast, the Coast Guard said in a separate statement.
The navy spokesperson said one adult was found dead and another four injured migrants were transported by helicopter to the nearest hospital, on the island of Lampedusa.
Italy is on the front line of Europe's worst immigration crisis since World War Two, with little sign of any slowdown in the flow of people coming from North Africa.
About 60 000 boat migrants have been brought to Italy so far this year, according to the Interior Ministry.
READ MOREBoat migrant rescues surge as calm seas return to Mediterranean
3,000 migrants rescued off Italian coast
Death toll of migrants in wreck off Crete climbs to 320
On Friday ship crews rescued more than 2,000 people from overcrowded boats.
Improved weather conditions in the Mediterranean encourage more migrants and their human smugglers to attempt the crossing despite the dangers involved. More than 3 700 migrants died in the Mediterranean last year, according to the International Organisation for Migration.
- Armed man arrested trying to enter Tunisian parliament
- Des Barker leaves the CSIR but will keep on flying
- SA Air Force celebrates first African female C-130 commander
- Minister confirms 35 Squadron grounded
- Shrinking budget hits SA Navy operations
- Parliament hears it’s more dangerous being a farmer than a policeman
- SpaceX defeats Boeing-Lockheed partnership for GPS launch contract
- Is funding for a new VIP aircraft coming from the SDA, DA asks
- Armscor knows “nothing” about any new VVIP aircraft acquisition
- Parliament will debate farm attacks and murders
Airbus Defence and Space appoints four new executive committee members
by AIRBUS Defence & Space, 28 March 2017
Jana Rosenmann, Grazia Vittadini, Bernhard Brenner and Peter Weckesser join the executive committee.
Denel seeks closure on legality of Denel Asia JV
by Denel Corporate, 24 March 2017
The company has applied to the High Court of SA for an order declaring it obtained approval to form a joint venture with VR Laser Asia.
TactiCall system has quality, performance recognised by certification
by Saab, 23 March 2017
The Airwave certificate allows Saab to install and operate the TactiCall Dispatcher products at any UK customer using Airwave.