May 2 is Voortrekker Monument military fair day
The monument, on the southern side of the Pretoria central business district, will provide a viewing platform for a flight of three Alouette helicopters and a Border War era Bosbok reconnaissance aircraft. Some specialist helicopter aerobatics will follow before the rotary-winged aircraft touch down for an up close and personal session with the pilots.
The Cannon Society of South Africa has indicated some of its members will be bringing replica cannons to the Monument to joint its own cannon, Susana, in a controlled live fire demonstration at noon.
The SA Army Armour and Air Defence Artillery formations will have specialist vehicles and equipment on display and Milkor, a long time military fair supporter, will again be present with it Supersix 40mm grenade launcher.
The increasing popularity of the fair among military memorabilia collectors is evidenced by 10 more stalls this year said organiser Geraldine Paulsen.
READ MOREFallen SA soldiers remembered
Friday is military fair day at the Voortrekker Monument
Freedom Park and Voortrekker Monument combine to remember soldiers
“Bother the former Koevoet and Rhodesian Light Infantry units have taken stalls alongside others selling books, medals, uniforms and military art,” she said.
Another highlight is the presence of some 40 military re-enactors with World War II vehicles.
The fair opens at 09h00 and finishes seven hours later with an entrance free of R30 per vehicle, regardless of the number of occupants.
- New UN approach to “stamp out” sexual exploitation and abuse
- ISS: Why policing is key for Africa’s peace and development
- U.N. chief urges Burundi parties to participate in peace talks
- UN air operation disperses Central African Republic militia
- Syria's warring sides face off as U.N. tells them - end the nightmare
- Germany wants aerostats for Mali surveillance
- SIPRI: Time to rethink the peace operations partnership in Africa
- Abuse of power hampering missions and tarnishing militaries
- New head of UN peacekeeping operations named
- Support growing for amending Libya government leadership
Denel seeks closure on legality of Denel Asia JV
by Denel Corporate, 24 March 2017
The company has applied to the High Court of SA for an order declaring it obtained approval to form a joint venture with VR Laser Asia.
TactiCall system has quality, performance recognised by certification
by Saab, 23 March 2017
The Airwave certificate allows Saab to install and operate the TactiCall Dispatcher products at any UK customer using Airwave.
Saab receives order for AT4 CS ER and AT4 CS HP
by Saab, 22 March 2017
The AT4 CS ER and AT4 CS HP are lightweight, man-portable, fully disposable weapons characterised by ease of use and handling.