Book Review: The Story of my War
JH Selfe’s The Story of my War is a title we should see more of. Americans call their World War Two forbears “the greatest generation” and, as has been seen in miniseries such as Band of Brothers and films such as Memphis Belle, Saving Private Ryan and now Clint Eastwood’s Flags of our Fathers, never tire of telling the story of those illustrious men and women. Centres, such as the D-Day memorial in
Selfe, a Bishop`s old boy, Rhodes Scholar and diplomat, played a small, but honourable role in World War Two, serving in armoured reconnaissance for the duration. Selfe was a trooper and corporal in
Selfe and his comrades took part in a number of skirmishes in southern Ethiopia and what stands out is that neither the terrain nor the weather was particularly favourable to the primitive armoured cars used by the Union Defence Force in that campaign. At Gil-Gil his unit was in support of the SA Irish. "The rain persisted throughout the three days the battle lasted, it was bitterly cold and no fires could be lit to warm food. Inside our car we at least had some protection… The infantry … in the usual tropical uniform of shorts and shirts had no protection, virtually no food and no chance of a smoke."
The Story of my War
- Global aerospace boom is over, but likely no bust ahead
- Morocco an example of aerospace manufacturing innovation
- Aerospace and defence revenue expected to pick up in 2017
- Global aerospace and defence outlook shifts to positive
- Aerospace and defence sectors rebounding – report
- Aviation – “still the strongest industry on the planet…for now”
- Aerospace and defence industry to grow 3 per cent this year - report
- Heavy investment into aerospace and defence by IT and Internet players
- Strong demand for helicopters in emerging markets – report
- Deloitte predicts strong aerospace, weak defence market in 2014
Denel seeks closure on legality of Denel Asia JV
by Denel Corporate, 24 March 2017
The company has applied to the High Court of SA for an order declaring it obtained approval to form a joint venture with VR Laser Asia.
TactiCall system has quality, performance recognised by certification
by Saab, 23 March 2017
The Airwave certificate allows Saab to install and operate the TactiCall Dispatcher products at any UK customer using Airwave.
Saab receives order for AT4 CS ER and AT4 CS HP
by Saab, 22 March 2017
The AT4 CS ER and AT4 CS HP are lightweight, man-portable, fully disposable weapons characterised by ease of use and handling.