Book Review: A Tourist Guide to the Anglo Boer War
A Tourist Guide to the Anglo Boer War 1899-1902, is an excellent layman’s guide to the bitter conflict between Boer and Brit just over a century ago cross the interior of what is now
In his (unmarked) introduction Westby-Nunn writes that the guide was compiled with visitors and tourists in mind. "It is not a comprehensive treatise on the war but, rather, an anecdotal compilation of key sites and aspects of the war – one which does assume an initial interest in the story of the war on the part of the reader.
Intended largely for the self-drive visitor or tourist, the guide highlights sites and areas of interest throughout
Most people expected the war to be short and cheap. It was neither. It cost the British 22,000 lives, a great deal of pride and much treasure. The Boers were no more fortunate. Over 6,000 fell in battle, 20,000 non-combatants died in concentration camps, thousands of farms and flocks were destroyed and the country lay to waste. "It was a war of miscalculation," Schalk Burger, the Boer politician said. But perhaps most unfortunate were the Africans.
The book`s early pages include a useful list of dates and events covering all three fronts, the western (covering operations at
One entry under the
A Tourist Guide to the Anglo Boer War 1899-1902
Compiled by Tony Westby-Nunn
Westby-Nunn Publishers cc, Simon`s Town, 2000
- Global aerospace boom is over, but likely no bust ahead
- Morocco an example of aerospace manufacturing innovation
- Aerospace and defence revenue expected to pick up in 2017
- Global aerospace and defence outlook shifts to positive
- Aerospace and defence sectors rebounding – report
- Aviation – “still the strongest industry on the planet…for now”
- Aerospace and defence industry to grow 3 per cent this year - report
- Heavy investment into aerospace and defence by IT and Internet players
- Strong demand for helicopters in emerging markets – report
- Deloitte predicts strong aerospace, weak defence market in 2014
Denel seeks closure on legality of Denel Asia JV
by Denel Corporate, 24 March 2017
The company has applied to the High Court of SA for an order declaring it obtained approval to form a joint venture with VR Laser Asia.
TactiCall system has quality, performance recognised by certification
by Saab, 23 March 2017
The Airwave certificate allows Saab to install and operate the TactiCall Dispatcher products at any UK customer using Airwave.
Saab receives order for AT4 CS ER and AT4 CS HP
by Saab, 22 March 2017
The AT4 CS ER and AT4 CS HP are lightweight, man-portable, fully disposable weapons characterised by ease of use and handling.