Book Review: A Tourist Guide to the Anglo Boer War
Written by Leon Engelbrecht, Thursday, 03 September 2009
A Tourist Guide to the Anglo Boer War 1899-1902, is an excellent layman’s guide to the bitter conflict between Boer and Brit just over a century ago cross the interior of what is now
In his (unmarked) introduction Westby-Nunn writes that the guide was compiled with visitors and tourists in mind. "It is not a comprehensive treatise on the war but, rather, an anecdotal compilation of key sites and aspects of the war – one which does assume an initial interest in the story of the war on the part of the reader.
Intended largely for the self-drive visitor or tourist, the guide highlights sites and areas of interest throughout
Most people expected the war to be short and cheap. It was neither. It cost the British 22,000 lives, a great deal of pride and much treasure. The Boers were no more fortunate. Over 6,000 fell in battle, 20,000 non-combatants died in concentration camps, thousands of farms and flocks were destroyed and the country lay to waste. "It was a war of miscalculation," Schalk Burger, the Boer politician said. But perhaps most unfortunate were the Africans.
The book`s early pages include a useful list of dates and events covering all three fronts, the western (covering operations at
One entry under the
A Tourist Guide to the Anglo Boer War 1899-1902
Compiled by Tony Westby-Nunn
Westby-Nunn Publishers cc, Simon`s Town, 2000
Top stories this week
- German parliament approves more soldiers for Mali, Iraq
- Western military chiefs to intensify Islamic State fight
- U.S. military discloses civilian casualties in Islamic State fight
- Islamic State territory shrinks in Iraq and Syria - U.S.-led coalition
- German cabinet approves more soldiers for Mali, Iraq
- Turks keeping troops in Iraqi camp, Baghdad turns to U.N.
- Turkey halts troop deployment to Iraq but will not withdraw
- Insight - Psychological first aid: Migrant trauma demands alternative therapies
- NATO agrees to keep troops in Afghanistan, seeks army funding
- Iraqi PM, militias reject foreign troops after U.S. announcement
Power of the Rooivalk on show during three-day demonstration
by Denel Corporate, 3 February 2016
The demonstration at the Denel Overberg Test Range will showcase the effectiveness of the Rooivalk deployed in tandem with the Denel Mokopa missile system.
Denel honours top-performing students who excel in science, technology
by Denel Corporate, 27 January 2016
Matriculants who participated in Denel's maths and science enrichment programmes received a 100% pass rate in the 2015 year-end exams.
Saab signs contract for Carl-Gustaf ammunition
by Saab, 13 January 2016
The total order value for the man-portable weapon system is about SEK1.4 billion. Information about the company will not be made public.