Nigeria receiving T-72s and other weapons from Czech Republic
Written by defenceWeb, Monday, 02 February 2015
Czech daily publication Mlada fronta Dnes last week reported that Czech company Excalibur Group will deliver 16 vehicles including T-72 M1 tanks, BMP armoured infantry fighting vehicles and rocket launchers to an African country.
Czech Defence and Security Industry Association president Jiri Hynek confirmed the weapons’ destination as Nigeria, reports the Prague Post, saying the equipment is being delivered quickly.
The weaponry is being flown to Nigeria aboard a giant Antonov An-225 freighter, which is scheduled to make three flights to Africa. Photos of the An-225 and four T-72 tanks were taken in the Czech Republic city of Ostrava on January 26.
In August last year Hungary announced it had sold 58 T-72s to Excalibur Defence Limited, which transferred them to the Czech Republic. The tanks were from Hungarian Defence Forces stocks. Apparently the tanks were originally destined for the Ukraine.
The modernised T-72 M1 variant features a new 1 000hp diesel engine, new smoothbore 125 mm gun, new fire control system with Sosna-U stabilised day/night sights for gunner and commander and digital ballistic computer, satellite navigation system, explosive reactive armour package and the Arena countermeasures system.
Top stories this week
- US hands over six Hueys to Kenya – two more on the way
- More Gambian political prisoners released
- New wide area surveillance system in Kruger is another poaching deterrent
- CSIR partnering with US-based company to produce long endurance UAV
- Former SADF veterans look to be left out of defence industry charter
- Denel receives contract to integrate A-Darter onto Brazilian Gripens
- Thales SA ups empowerment share and pushes export and non-defence business
- Reutech acquires Nanoteq
- Al Tariq deliveries back on track
- South African companies work together to demonstrate joint command post
- Denel teams up to supply Saudi Arabia with Ingwe missile
- Denel Dynamics unveils Cheetah C-RAM system
- Reutech out in force at AAD
- South African guided weapons
- SANDF “not operating” UAVs – spokesman
Saab Grintek Defence wins South African Exporter Award 2016
by Saab, 9 December 2016
The SA Premier Business Awards is organised by the DTI, in partnership with Proudly South Africa and Brand South Africa.
Denel partnership with European manufacturer producing results
by Denel Corporate, 9 December 2016
Denel PMP and Nordic company NAMMO will produce niche products that meet the specialised needs of the SANDF.
Denel joins forces with global leaders to market geospatial products
by Denel Corporate, 6 December 2016
Denel Integrated Systems and Maritime will team up with Hexagon Geospatial and Geo Data Design to market geospatial products.