Gabon orders Nexter turrets for its patrol boats
Written by defenceWeb, Tuesday, 11 November 2014
Nexter said the weapon systems will enable the Gabonese navy to effectively combat piracy and will contribute to the protection of Gabonese national waters.
Gabon On October 29 ordered a 58 metre long OPV50 offshore patrol vessel from Piriou, which will be built through the Piriou-DCNS Kership joint venture, and the refurbished ex-French Navy P400 patrol vessel Tapageuse. The latter will be delivered in mid-2015 and the former in mid-2016.
The Narwhal turret features an electro-optical sighting system and moving target auto-tracker. The turret for Gabon will feature the 20 x 102 mm M621 cannon, which has a firing rate of 750 rounds per minute. Weight of the turret with 200 rounds of ammunition is 390 kg. The Narwhal turret has been selected by the French Navy for its FREMM frigates.
The 15A light naval gun mount is also fitted with the M621 cannon. It is manually aimed and operated and weights 200 kg, with 160 rounds of ammunition.
READ MOREGabon orders two patrol vessels
Gabon buys Aravis armoured vehicles from Nexter
US Marines, sailors partner with task force in Gabon
On October 29 Gabon also ordered Nexter 12 Aravis armoured vehicles to equip its battalion committed in the Central African Republic as part of the UN’s MINUSCA mission there. These vehicles will be fitted with the ARX20 turret, the PG-Guard anti-RPG protection system and Nerva LG mini scout robots.
Top stories this week
- US hands over six Hueys to Kenya – two more on the way
- More Gambian political prisoners released
- New wide area surveillance system in Kruger is another poaching deterrent
- CSIR partnering with US-based company to produce long endurance UAV
- Former SADF veterans look to be left out of defence industry charter
- US military leaders visit Niger’s Air Base 201
- Africa Partnership Flight concludes in Ghana
- Task Force Hurricane teaches Kenyan Defense Forces how to fly
- Africa Endeavour 16 concludes in Madgascar
- US Africa Command kicks off 10th Africa Endeavor in Madagascar
- Africa Readiness Training 2016 kicks off in Senegal
- AFRICOM welcomes new commander
- Nine countries are participating in Eastern Accord 2016
- Eastern Accord 2016 kicks off in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
- Central Accord prepares partners for peacekeeping
Saab Grintek Defence wins South African Exporter Award 2016
by Saab, 9 December 2016
The SA Premier Business Awards is organised by the DTI, in partnership with Proudly South Africa and Brand South Africa.
Denel partnership with European manufacturer producing results
by Denel Corporate, 9 December 2016
Denel PMP and Nordic company NAMMO will produce niche products that meet the specialised needs of the SANDF.
Denel joins forces with global leaders to market geospatial products
by Denel Corporate, 6 December 2016
Denel Integrated Systems and Maritime will team up with Hexagon Geospatial and Geo Data Design to market geospatial products.