Gabon orders Nexter turrets for its patrol boats
Written by defenceWeb, Tuesday, 11 November 2014
Nexter said the weapon systems will enable the Gabonese navy to effectively combat piracy and will contribute to the protection of Gabonese national waters.
Gabon On October 29 ordered a 58 metre long OPV50 offshore patrol vessel from Piriou, which will be built through the Piriou-DCNS Kership joint venture, and the refurbished ex-French Navy P400 patrol vessel Tapageuse. The latter will be delivered in mid-2015 and the former in mid-2016.
The Narwhal turret features an electro-optical sighting system and moving target auto-tracker. The turret for Gabon will feature the 20 x 102 mm M621 cannon, which has a firing rate of 750 rounds per minute. Weight of the turret with 200 rounds of ammunition is 390 kg. The Narwhal turret has been selected by the French Navy for its FREMM frigates.
The 15A light naval gun mount is also fitted with the M621 cannon. It is manually aimed and operated and weights 200 kg, with 160 rounds of ammunition.
READ MOREGabon orders two patrol vessels
Gabon buys Aravis armoured vehicles from Nexter
US Marines, sailors partner with task force in Gabon
On October 29 Gabon also ordered Nexter 12 Aravis armoured vehicles to equip its battalion committed in the Central African Republic as part of the UN’s MINUSCA mission there. These vehicles will be fitted with the ARX20 turret, the PG-Guard anti-RPG protection system and Nerva LG mini scout robots.
- Italy rescues more than three thousand migrants over weekend
- Damen ready to supply vessels for Projects Hotel and Biro
- Pakistan Navy Chief asks for more information on Umkhonto missile
- Guinean sailors arrested after clash with Sierra Leona navy
- SharpEye radar system installed aboard SAS Drakensberg
- More work required at Naval Base Durban
- Navy positive despite severe budget constraints
- Navy accepts new tugs into the fleet
- SAS Spioenkop due back in South Africa tomorrow after India trip
- Saab Grintek Defence to provide SA Navy with TactiCall communications system
AT4 Roquette NG, Carl-Gustaf M4 and NLAW lands at Eurosatory 2016
by Saab, 14 June 2016
These will be presented at Eurosatory 2016 in Paris, including AT4 Roquette NG, Carl-Gustaf M4, and NLAW.
Intelligent camouflage: the future step for Saab Barracuda
by Saab, 14 June 2016
At Eurosatory 2016 Saab highlights new concepts within the field of intelligent camouflage to the attending audience.
Saab to deliver CBRN equipment to Swedish Civil Contingencies Agency
by Saab, 9 June 2016
The company will deliver the test kits with advanced indication equipment to the Swedish Civil Contingencies Agency, in September.