Rhino counter-poaching ops boosted by millions of rands
Written by Kim Helfrich, Monday, 28 July 2014
“An amount of R8 million from the Asset Forfeiture Unit was handed to SANParks as part of criminal proceedings against a member of a poaching syndicate who was arrested during the course of the year,” the Minister told Parliament when she presented her budget vote.
This money will go into the national conservation agency’s budget and be utilised in the ongoing battle against rhino poachers.
Another indication government is willing to commit more funding to the fight against rhino poaching was her allocation of R103 million from the departmental budget over the next two financial years for “the sole purpose of combatting rhino poaching”.
In her address to Members of Parliament, Molewa said poaching remained the single biggest threat to South Africa’s rhino population, estimated at around the 21 000 mark.
READ MORESouth African court gives rhino poacher record 77 years
Four rhinos killed in Kenya\'s worst poaching attack in years
Rhino kills pass the 550 mark
Surging environmental crime funds conflicts, hurts growth: UN
“Because it is part of a multi-billion dollar worldwide illicit wildlife trade, addressing the scourge is not simple. That is why we will continue to strengthen holistic and integrated interventions and explore new innovative options to ensure the long term survival of the species.
“Our conservation efforts have been working,” she said.
This has seen 136 suspects arrested in the first six months of this year - an increase on the 134 arrests over the same period last year.
Latest statistics released by Molewa’s department show 558 rhinos have been killed by poachers this year with the Kruger National Park the worst hit, losing 351.
South African courts are also hitting those convicted of rhino poaching harder. Earlier this month a poacher was sentenced to 77 years behind bars after he was convicted on charges of killing three rhinos in Kruger as well as murder and the possession of illegal weapons.
- Mediterranean three times more deadly than 2015 - U.N.
- Libyan interference in rescue may have caused 30 migrant deaths: German group
- EU to continue Libyan coast guard training after attack on migrants
- More than two thousand migrants rescued in Mediterranean, 16 bodies recovered
- Rescuers save 2,400 migrants in Mediterranean, recover 14 bodies
- “No more Mr Nice Guy”: EU gets tough on African migrants
- Destitute migrants pile up in Djibouti as Yemen sends boats back
- Africa migrants storm Spanish enclave of Melilla
- Migrants missing after late night Mediterranean rescue
- More than 11,000 migrants rescued off Libya this week
Acquisition boosts leisure market for Nautic Group
by Nautic Africa, 26 October 2016
The Paramount Group company has acquired the Durban-based boat builder Austral Marine.
Top-class maintenance, repair and training augments Husky's success
by DCD, 25 October 2016
Its success in the field has been secured by support in training, maintenance and logistics by US-based Critical Solutions International.
Saab on display at Euronaval 2016
by Saab, 14 October 2016
The company will display its maritime surface and sub-surface capabilities, including mine warfare, at the event next week.