Chad receiving MiG-29s
Written by defenceWeb, Monday, 02 June 2014
The first photograph emerged late last month and comes five years after the Force Aerienne Tchadienne (Chadian Air Force) began negotiating the purchase of MiG-29s from the Ukraine. The first MiG-29 was seen flying in full Chad camouflage and markings from Liviv-Skinilov Air Base/Danyo Halytskyi International Airport in the Ukraine, reports Air Forces Daily.
In April 2009, Chadian website Tchadactuel quoted President Idriss Deby as saying that: "No African country except Egypt, Nigeria, and South Africa has the weapons that Chad has today. In addition to what I have today, I am trying to acquire others. As I speak, my little brother Umar Deby, accompanied by the chief-of-staff of the air force, is in Ukraine, negotiating the acquisition of three MiG-29s, pilots, mechanics, and ammunition."
It is not clear where the Chadian MiG-29s are coming from, but it is likely that they are ex-Ukraine Air Force jets.
Chad has in recent years expanded its air force, and is currently receiving two C-27J Spartan transports from Alenia Aeronautica. It acquired a second hand Libyan An-26 transport in 2008, a single Mi-8/17 in 2010 from Russia and six ex-Singaporean AS350/550 Fennec helicopters in 2009/10.
Chad has acquired aircraft from the Ukraine before, including two second hand Mi-24V Hind combat helicopters in 2008 and six second hand Su-25 Frogfoot ground attack aircraft, including two Su-25UB trainers. These were delivered between 2008 and 2010, according to the Stockholm International Peace Research Institute (SIPRI).
Top stories this week
- Another three Chinese fishing trawlers escorted into a SA port
- Navy plays major role in impounding 600 tons of squid and other fish as well as foreign trawlers
- Shoke slams Tempe’s sleeping sentries
- UK defence companies seeking partnerships in South Africa
- Landward forces will be well represented at this year’s AAD
- Egyptian court cancels jail terms for 47 over island protests
- Algeria troops kill six armed Islamists in east
- EgyptAir jet sent smoke-alarm warnings before crash
- Egyptian military finds debris of crashed airliner
- Egypt seeking Harpoon missiles
- Egyptian court jails 152 people over islands protest
- Egypt receiving MRAPs from the United States
- Indonesia to buy Airbus A400M military transport planes: minister
- Algerian army kills seven Islamist fighters east of capital
- U.S. envoy targets Egypt at U.N. over journalist arrests
Thales to build "Cyber Range", cyber security training, testing facility for Dutch Defence Cyber Command
by Thales, 23 May 2016
The cyber security training and testing facility for the Dutch Defence Cyber Command will be used to train its personnel.
Saab unveils first Gripen E
by Saab, 16 May 2016
The launch of the Gripen E test aircraft will take place at Saab's facilities in Linköping.
Paramount Group expands innovative industrial partnerships throughout Middle East
by Paramount Group, 12 May 2016
The African defence company and Jordanian partners have started the production of armoured fighting vehicles in Jordan.