Exercise African Winds aims to better Nigerian maritime protection capability
Specific aspects of training will take place in Lagos, Calabar and Oron until October 24, with elements of Dutch, US, United Kingdom and Spanish Marines and Special Forces on the Royal Netherlands Navy amphibious support ship, HMNLS Potterdam.
Company level amphibious raids, marine counter terrorism, sea mine identification and disposal, oil rig protection, riverine operations and insertion and extraction are some of the tasks that will be executed over the 21-day exercise.
In a statement, the Nigerian Navy said African Winds’ objective was to improve the capacity of the Nigerian armed forces to plan and execute joint operations in a maritime environment.
According to US Africa Command (Africom), the focus of NAVAF’s APS is to build maritime safety and security by increasing maritime awareness, response capabilities and infrastructure.
Through APS, Africom and NAVAF work with international partners, governments and non-government organisations (NGOs) to improve African partner nations’ self-sustaining capability to effectively maintain maritime security within own inland waterways, territorial waters and exclusive economic zones.
APS uses the four pillars of developing maritime domain awareness, building maritime professionals, establishing maritime infrastructure and developing response capabilities.
- Spanish police arrest Morrocan accused of supporting Islamic State
- Two Moroccans accused of supporting IS arrested in Spain
- Asian sailors freed by Somali pirates arrive in Kenya for flights home
- C295W for airborne refuelling
- Cautious optimism as latest analysis shows reduction of maritime crime across traditional hot spots
- First H215 for the Spanish Air Force
- Spain and Morocco arrest four suspected of links to Islamist militants
- AU Commission Chair to attend summit on Maritime Security
- Piracy on the decrease but threat still there - report
- Pirates attack and loot container ship off Guinea coast
Acquisition boosts leisure market for Nautic Group
by Nautic Africa, 26 October 2016
The Paramount Group company has acquired the Durban-based boat builder Austral Marine.
Top-class maintenance, repair and training augments Husky's success
by DCD, 25 October 2016
Its success in the field has been secured by support in training, maintenance and logistics by US-based Critical Solutions International.
Saab on display at Euronaval 2016
by Saab, 14 October 2016
The company will display its maritime surface and sub-surface capabilities, including mine warfare, at the event next week.