Rhino poaching ongoing
Written by defenceWeb, Friday, 26 April 2013
The park is home to the single largest population of rhino in the country and has to date this year lost 180 of this Big Five species.
The national loss currently stands at 249. This works out to 2.16 animals a day.
To minimise rhino losses Kruger has, since the start of the year, embarked on a more militaristic approach to anti-poaching operations. This after SANParks chief executive Dr David Mabunda said the country’s premier conservation authority was fighting “a low intensity war” against poachers. The new approach has seen retired SA Army general Johan Jooste called in to head up the overall SANParks anti-poaching operation.
On the provincial level, North West leads the rhino loss tally with 21, followed by KwaZulu-Natal with 18, Limpopo with 17 and Mpumalanga with 13.
Arrests in connection with rhino poaching so far this year total 78 with five middlemen, including suspected couriers, behind bars and awaiting trial or court appearances.
- Paramount pushing for collaboration to combat West African maritime crime
- Second Ahrlac prototype now at Wonderboom
- Is Defence intelligence aiming to sabotage South Africa’s good military relations?
- Over a dozen suspected poachers apprehended in Kruger
- Military camo is not for civvies and that’s the law
- SA police find weapons stash in basement
- Anti-poaching dogs a game-changer for Kruger
- SA and Pakistan sign defence co-operation agreement
- Des Barker leaves the CSIR but will keep on flying
- SA Air Force celebrates first African female C-130 commander
Airbus Defence and Space appoints four new executive committee members
by AIRBUS Defence & Space, 28 March 2017
Jana Rosenmann, Grazia Vittadini, Bernhard Brenner and Peter Weckesser join the executive committee.
Denel seeks closure on legality of Denel Asia JV
by Denel Corporate, 24 March 2017
The company has applied to the High Court of SA for an order declaring it obtained approval to form a joint venture with VR Laser Asia.
TactiCall system has quality, performance recognised by certification
by Saab, 23 March 2017
The Airwave certificate allows Saab to install and operate the TactiCall Dispatcher products at any UK customer using Airwave.