Rhino poaching ongoing
Written by defenceWeb, Friday, 26 April 2013
The park is home to the single largest population of rhino in the country and has to date this year lost 180 of this Big Five species.
The national loss currently stands at 249. This works out to 2.16 animals a day.
To minimise rhino losses Kruger has, since the start of the year, embarked on a more militaristic approach to anti-poaching operations. This after SANParks chief executive Dr David Mabunda said the country’s premier conservation authority was fighting “a low intensity war” against poachers. The new approach has seen retired SA Army general Johan Jooste called in to head up the overall SANParks anti-poaching operation.
On the provincial level, North West leads the rhino loss tally with 21, followed by KwaZulu-Natal with 18, Limpopo with 17 and Mpumalanga with 13.
Arrests in connection with rhino poaching so far this year total 78 with five middlemen, including suspected couriers, behind bars and awaiting trial or court appearances.
- Forty rhinos killed by poachers in Kruger this month
- Permit to hunt endangered rhino sells for $350,000 despite protests
- Hot pursuit of poachers could be on the way
- Wildlife poaching under the microscope
- Terrorist groups profiting from the poaching trade in Africa
- North West rangers boost their counter-poaching skills
- Zim recalls former game rangers, support staff to boost faltering anti-poaching effort
- US involvement in counter poaching operations possible
- Kenya seizes ivory smuggled in seed sacks destined for Turkey
- Rhino horn poaching hits new record in South Africa
Saab's annual report 2013 available on the corporate Web site
by saab, 7 March 2014
Saab presents annual report 2013
Poynting offers custom antenna solutions
by Poynting Antennas, 7 March 2014
The company's Defence and Specialised Division focues on design, development, manufacture and sales of antennas and related RF equipment.
Denel tells Parliament of its 'transition from good to great'
by Denel Corporate, 27 February 2014
The company has achieved a successful financial turnaround and has a strong record of delivery on major products and projects .