Rhino poaching ongoing
Written by defenceWeb, Friday, 26 April 2013
The park is home to the single largest population of rhino in the country and has to date this year lost 180 of this Big Five species.
The national loss currently stands at 249. This works out to 2.16 animals a day.
To minimise rhino losses Kruger has, since the start of the year, embarked on a more militaristic approach to anti-poaching operations. This after SANParks chief executive Dr David Mabunda said the country’s premier conservation authority was fighting “a low intensity war” against poachers. The new approach has seen retired SA Army general Johan Jooste called in to head up the overall SANParks anti-poaching operation.
On the provincial level, North West leads the rhino loss tally with 21, followed by KwaZulu-Natal with 18, Limpopo with 17 and Mpumalanga with 13.
Arrests in connection with rhino poaching so far this year total 78 with five middlemen, including suspected couriers, behind bars and awaiting trial or court appearances.
- US Marines to partner with anti-poaching task force in Chad
- Belgium destroys ivory to raise awareness of illegal trade
- Poaching on the decrease
- Asia's abalone fever feared wiping out the gourmet mollusc in South Africa
- Foreign hunters spend over R1 billion a year in SA
- Forty rhinos killed by poachers in Kruger this month
- Permit to hunt endangered rhino sells for $350,000 despite protests
- Hot pursuit of poachers could be on the way
- Wildlife poaching under the microscope
- Terrorist groups profiting from the poaching trade in Africa
Saab supplies vehicle electronics to Patria
by Saab, 24 April 2014
The defence and security company has received an order from the Finnish military vehicle manufacturer.
Airbus Defence and Space deploys LTE-based mobile CCTV solution as part of the Singapore Safe City Test Bed
by Cassidian, 22 April 2014
Airbus Defence and Space has deployed a vehicle-mounted closed circuit television solution as part of the project.
Airbus Defence and Space together with Sapura to establish long-term partnership in the field of C4ISR
by Cassidian, 17 April 2014
The companies have signed a collaboration agreement to establish a long-term co-operation in the field of C4ISR