Rhino poaching ongoing
Written by defenceWeb, Friday, 26 April 2013
The park is home to the single largest population of rhino in the country and has to date this year lost 180 of this Big Five species.
The national loss currently stands at 249. This works out to 2.16 animals a day.
To minimise rhino losses Kruger has, since the start of the year, embarked on a more militaristic approach to anti-poaching operations. This after SANParks chief executive Dr David Mabunda said the country’s premier conservation authority was fighting “a low intensity war” against poachers. The new approach has seen retired SA Army general Johan Jooste called in to head up the overall SANParks anti-poaching operation.
On the provincial level, North West leads the rhino loss tally with 21, followed by KwaZulu-Natal with 18, Limpopo with 17 and Mpumalanga with 13.
Arrests in connection with rhino poaching so far this year total 78 with five middlemen, including suspected couriers, behind bars and awaiting trial or court appearances.
- SANParks rangers shoot suspected rhino poacher
- Interpol joins hunt for Kenyan poaching suspect
- Transnational crime syndicates use brutal methods says environment minister
- South Africa's Kruger Park invites bids for rhinos
- Rhino poaching to get boost with delivery of military grade radios
- Specialist training needed if Army is to contribute more to counter-poaching
- Namibia deploys UAVs for anti-poaching operations
- South Africa tries gunfire location system to catch rhino poachers
- China donates anti-poaching equipment to Kenya
- South Africa to combat poaching by moving Kruger rhinos
Airbus Defence and Space boasts outstanding young scientists
by AIRBUS Defence & Space, 22 October 2014
Andreas Hofmann from the University of Erlangen-Nuremberg won the prize for the best bachelor's thesis.
Saab selected by Airports Authority of India to deploy A-SMGCS at five airports
by Saab, 20 October 2014
The company will deploy its Advanced-Surface Movement Guidance & Control Systems at five airports in India.
DAFF research, patrol vessel operations under new management for next 12 months
by Nautic Africa, 13 October 2014
Due to supply chain regulations, SAMSA's Special Marine Projects Division will take over from Nautic SA at the end of October.
#Parabot - Africa's largest super-hero robot joins the rhino fight
by Paramount Group, 13 October 2014
Paramount Group and the Ichikowitz Family Foundation's super-hero robot raises awareness of the role of the defence industry in fighting poaching.
Opening of new Mega Aero Training Academy (MATA) practical training centre
by Safomar Aviation, 13 October 2014
The practical training centre is based at OR Tambo International Airport.
Saab awarded contract for civil marine traffic services system in Hong Kong
by Saab, 10 October 2014
The defence and security company was awarded the contract to renew the existing Hong Kong vessel traffic services system.