Rhino poaching ongoing
Written by defenceWeb, Friday, 26 April 2013
The park is home to the single largest population of rhino in the country and has to date this year lost 180 of this Big Five species.
The national loss currently stands at 249. This works out to 2.16 animals a day.
To minimise rhino losses Kruger has, since the start of the year, embarked on a more militaristic approach to anti-poaching operations. This after SANParks chief executive Dr David Mabunda said the country’s premier conservation authority was fighting “a low intensity war” against poachers. The new approach has seen retired SA Army general Johan Jooste called in to head up the overall SANParks anti-poaching operation.
On the provincial level, North West leads the rhino loss tally with 21, followed by KwaZulu-Natal with 18, Limpopo with 17 and Mpumalanga with 13.
Arrests in connection with rhino poaching so far this year total 78 with five middlemen, including suspected couriers, behind bars and awaiting trial or court appearances.
Top stories this week
- U.S. says regional trade pacts to curb poaching in Africa
- China donates US$2.3 million worth of equipment for Zim anti-poaching efforts
- CSI Kruger: forensic teams scour rhino killing scenes
- Delicate operation shifts one-tonne rhino out of poaching hotspot
- UN General Assembly adopts wide-ranging resolution on wildlife trafficking
- Rhino conservation award winners announced
- Mozambique burns seized ivory, rhino horn in anti-poaching drive
- Tanzania urges China to curb ivory demand to save elephants
- Police clamp down on rhino poachers
- Poachers decimate Mozambique elephant population
Thales secures Oman's newest airports in Muscat, Salalah
by Thales, 1 September 2015
The Ministry of Transport & Communications of Oman chose Thales to deploy an integrated security solution at the airports.
Airbus Defence and Space upgrades Tetra digital radio network at Vattenfall Europe Mining in Cottbus to the latest standard
by AIRBUS Defence & Space, 1 September 2015
Airbus Defence and Space, through reseller PBIT, upgraded the network at Vattenfall Europe Mining to the latest Release 7.0 standard.
Southern Power Products to participate in global testing phase of new engines
by Nautic Africa, 28 August 2015
The company has partnered with Cimco to supply sub-Sahara with an OXE Diesel S-BPU engine, which will be fitted to a Nautic Africa vessel.