Rhino poaching ongoing
Written by defenceWeb, Friday, 26 April 2013
The park is home to the single largest population of rhino in the country and has to date this year lost 180 of this Big Five species.
The national loss currently stands at 249. This works out to 2.16 animals a day.
To minimise rhino losses Kruger has, since the start of the year, embarked on a more militaristic approach to anti-poaching operations. This after SANParks chief executive Dr David Mabunda said the country’s premier conservation authority was fighting “a low intensity war” against poachers. The new approach has seen retired SA Army general Johan Jooste called in to head up the overall SANParks anti-poaching operation.
On the provincial level, North West leads the rhino loss tally with 21, followed by KwaZulu-Natal with 18, Limpopo with 17 and Mpumalanga with 13.
Arrests in connection with rhino poaching so far this year total 78 with five middlemen, including suspected couriers, behind bars and awaiting trial or court appearances.
Top stories this week
- South African court gives rhino poacher record 77 years
- Four rhinos killed in Kenya's worst poaching attack in years
- Rhino kills pass the 550 mark
- South African police seize 5 tonnes of illegal abalone
- Rhino poaching continues, panel of experts analysing the situation
- Surging environmental crime funds conflicts, hurts growth: UN
- Tanzania receives R44 helicopter for counter-poaching duties
- African elephants at risk, record ivory seizures
- Kenyan police seize 300 elephant tusks being packed at port city
- Combatting rhino poaching with an Activity Based Intelligence-driven approach
Airbus Defence and Space completes P-3 Orion modernisation programme for Brazilian Air Force
by Cassidian, 31 July 2014
The company has modernised a total of 12 P-3 Orions, nine for the Brazilian Air Force and three for the Spanish Air Force.
Brazil orders Airbus C295 search and rescue aircraft
by Cassidian, 30 July 2014
In Brazilian service, the SAR aircraft will join 12 transport-configured C295 aircraft, taking the total FAB C295 fleet to 15.
Eurofighter submits bid to Denmark
by Cassidian, 28 July 2014
Airbus Defence and Space has bid for the replacement of Denmark's fleet of F-16 fighters.