Rhino poaching ongoing
Written by defenceWeb, Friday, 26 April 2013
The park is home to the single largest population of rhino in the country and has to date this year lost 180 of this Big Five species.
The national loss currently stands at 249. This works out to 2.16 animals a day.
To minimise rhino losses Kruger has, since the start of the year, embarked on a more militaristic approach to anti-poaching operations. This after SANParks chief executive Dr David Mabunda said the country’s premier conservation authority was fighting “a low intensity war” against poachers. The new approach has seen retired SA Army general Johan Jooste called in to head up the overall SANParks anti-poaching operation.
On the provincial level, North West leads the rhino loss tally with 21, followed by KwaZulu-Natal with 18, Limpopo with 17 and Mpumalanga with 13.
Arrests in connection with rhino poaching so far this year total 78 with five middlemen, including suspected couriers, behind bars and awaiting trial or court appearances.
Top stories this week
- US hands over six Hueys to Kenya – two more on the way
- More Gambian political prisoners released
- New wide area surveillance system in Kruger is another poaching deterrent
- CSIR partnering with US-based company to produce long endurance UAV
- Former SADF veterans look to be left out of defence industry charter
- Italian coastguard rescues more than a thousand boat migrants
- Italian coastguard rescues more than 1,400 migrants
- Migrant rescue ship reaches Italy after deadly week in the Mediterranean
- More than 240 migrants feared dead in Mediterranean this week
- Rescuers pick up body, save 298 in heavy seas
- Italian POWs at Zonderwater camp remembered
- More than 11,000 migrants rescued off Libya this week
- More than four thousands boat migrants saved, 28 die trying to reach Italy
- More than six thousand migrants plucked from sea in one day, 22 dead
- Rise in Nigerian sex slavery in Italy fuelled by violence and juju magic
Saab Grintek Defence wins South African Exporter Award 2016
by Saab, 9 December 2016
The SA Premier Business Awards is organised by the DTI, in partnership with Proudly South Africa and Brand South Africa.
Denel partnership with European manufacturer producing results
by Denel Corporate, 9 December 2016
Denel PMP and Nordic company NAMMO will produce niche products that meet the specialised needs of the SANDF.
Denel joins forces with global leaders to market geospatial products
by Denel Corporate, 6 December 2016
Denel Integrated Systems and Maritime will team up with Hexagon Geospatial and Geo Data Design to market geospatial products.