Rhino poaching ongoing
Written by defenceWeb, Friday, 26 April 2013
The park is home to the single largest population of rhino in the country and has to date this year lost 180 of this Big Five species.
The national loss currently stands at 249. This works out to 2.16 animals a day.
To minimise rhino losses Kruger has, since the start of the year, embarked on a more militaristic approach to anti-poaching operations. This after SANParks chief executive Dr David Mabunda said the country’s premier conservation authority was fighting “a low intensity war” against poachers. The new approach has seen retired SA Army general Johan Jooste called in to head up the overall SANParks anti-poaching operation.
On the provincial level, North West leads the rhino loss tally with 21, followed by KwaZulu-Natal with 18, Limpopo with 17 and Mpumalanga with 13.
Arrests in connection with rhino poaching so far this year total 78 with five middlemen, including suspected couriers, behind bars and awaiting trial or court appearances.
Top stories this week
- SANParks rangers shoot suspected rhino poacher
- Interpol joins hunt for Kenyan poaching suspect
- Transnational crime syndicates use brutal methods says environment minister
- South Africa's Kruger Park invites bids for rhinos
- Rhino poaching to get boost with delivery of military grade radios
- Specialist training needed if Army is to contribute more to counter-poaching
- Namibia deploys UAVs for anti-poaching operations
- South Africa tries gunfire location system to catch rhino poachers
- China donates anti-poaching equipment to Kenya
- South Africa to combat poaching by moving Kruger rhinos
Jens Thostrup - new head of PMR Terminals Business and Indirect Sales at Airbus Defence and Space
by AIRBUS Defence & Space, 30 October 2014
He replaces Pierre Lopez as head of the Terminals Business and Indirect Sales.
Nautic Africa signs exclusive agency agreement with Doen Pacific
by Nautic Africa, 29 October 2014
Nautic will install water-jet systems at competitive pricing for its customers in the sub-Saharan region.
New-generation Saab surface radar on track, in production
by Saab, 29 October 2014
Production of the first Giraffe 4A system for an undisclosed customer is ongoing at Saab in Gothenburg, Sweden.
Sustained revenue growth, strong order book drive Denel's new growth era
by Denel Corporate, 29 October 2014
The company's financial results for 2013/2014 show revenue growth of 17%, improved profit and the largest multi-year order book in its history.
Saab and Brazil sign contract for Gripen NG
by Saab, 28 October 2014
The defence company will develop and produce 36 Gripen NG fighter aircraft for the Brazilian Air Force.
Airbus Defence and Space boasts outstanding young scientists
by AIRBUS Defence & Space, 22 October 2014
Andreas Hofmann from the University of Erlangen-Nuremberg won the prize for the best bachelor's thesis.