Rhino poaching ongoing
Written by defenceWeb, Friday, 26 April 2013
The park is home to the single largest population of rhino in the country and has to date this year lost 180 of this Big Five species.
The national loss currently stands at 249. This works out to 2.16 animals a day.
To minimise rhino losses Kruger has, since the start of the year, embarked on a more militaristic approach to anti-poaching operations. This after SANParks chief executive Dr David Mabunda said the country’s premier conservation authority was fighting “a low intensity war” against poachers. The new approach has seen retired SA Army general Johan Jooste called in to head up the overall SANParks anti-poaching operation.
On the provincial level, North West leads the rhino loss tally with 21, followed by KwaZulu-Natal with 18, Limpopo with 17 and Mpumalanga with 13.
Arrests in connection with rhino poaching so far this year total 78 with five middlemen, including suspected couriers, behind bars and awaiting trial or court appearances.
Top stories this week
- Italy rescues around 1,100 migrants in Mediterranean
- MPs told of 18 politically-related murders
- Denel still pursuing LEO artillery project
- SA satellite heads to International Space Station
- Denel completes mockup, seeking development partners for SARA
- LMT develops Meerkat retractable weapon station
- Truvelo launching new company, new sniper rifle
- Paramount moving ahead with construction of AHRLAC factory at Wonderboom
- Gallery: Rand Air Show 2016
- Three Syrian children drown when boat sinks off Libyan coast
Saab attends Africa Aerospace and Defence 2016
by Saab, 25 August 2016
The company will discuss a number of its solutions, including the Integrated Defence Aids Suite and the Saab 340 Maritime Surveillance system.
Africa Aerospace & Defence Show 2016 coming next month
by Safomar Aviation, 24 August 2016
The Africa Aerospace & Defence Show 2016 will run from 14 to 18 September at the Air Force Base Waterkloof, Centurion.
Truvelo to launch new company during AAD 2016
by Truvelo, 24 August 2016
The company will unveil Truvelo Africa Mechanical Division at the Africa Aerospace and Defence Exhibition, between 14 and 18 September.