Rhino poaching ongoing
Written by defenceWeb, Friday, 26 April 2013
The park is home to the single largest population of rhino in the country and has to date this year lost 180 of this Big Five species.
The national loss currently stands at 249. This works out to 2.16 animals a day.
To minimise rhino losses Kruger has, since the start of the year, embarked on a more militaristic approach to anti-poaching operations. This after SANParks chief executive Dr David Mabunda said the country’s premier conservation authority was fighting “a low intensity war” against poachers. The new approach has seen retired SA Army general Johan Jooste called in to head up the overall SANParks anti-poaching operation.
On the provincial level, North West leads the rhino loss tally with 21, followed by KwaZulu-Natal with 18, Limpopo with 17 and Mpumalanga with 13.
Arrests in connection with rhino poaching so far this year total 78 with five middlemen, including suspected couriers, behind bars and awaiting trial or court appearances.
- Death toll in clashes, blast in Libyan town rises to 40
- Libyan forces take losses in battle for Sirte against Islamic State
- Civilians killed in ammunition store blast in Libya
- Libyan forces advance against Islamic State in Sirte
- Islamists killed near Algiers
- One child killed, two wounded by air strikes in eastern Libya
- Bomb kills 10 west of Islamic State's besieged Libyan stronghold
- UN approves high seas crackdown on Libya arms smuggling
- Libyan forces say Islamic State attacks repelled in battle for Sirte
- Armed groups making Libya's power supply problems worse
A first for Nautic
by Nautic Africa, 29 June 2016
The company has become the first shipyard in SA to achieve certification to the revised International Quality Management Standard, ISO 9001:2015.
AT4 Roquette NG, Carl-Gustaf M4 and NLAW lands at Eurosatory 2016
by Saab, 14 June 2016
These will be presented at Eurosatory 2016 in Paris, including AT4 Roquette NG, Carl-Gustaf M4, and NLAW.
Intelligent camouflage: the future step for Saab Barracuda
by Saab, 14 June 2016
At Eurosatory 2016 Saab highlights new concepts within the field of intelligent camouflage to the attending audience.