Tunisia gets first C-130J in Africa
Written by defenceWeb, Friday, 15 March 2013
The North African country ordered two multi-mission C-130J-30 aircraft, with the second scheduled for delivery later this year, according to Dennys Plessas, Vice President Business Development Initiatives at Lockheed Martin.
“Tunisia is taking two standard airlifters and has ordered two MAFFS (modular airborne firefighting system) systems to enhance the usefulness of the aircraft,” he said.
The Tunisian airlift fleet is currently made up of a single C-130H and seven old C-130Bs.
The new addition, scheduled for delivery on April 4, will go onto the inventory of 21 Squadron based at Bizerte-Sidi Ahmed and will boost the country’s ability to take part in operations including humanitarian relief, firefighting and airlift.
The pair of stretched C-130J-30s were ordered in February 2010 and come with an initial three year logistics support package.
Plessas sees the C-130J as a proven aircraft particularly well-suited to the growing demand for air mobility and multi-mission tasking.
“Air Forces today have to do more with less and need the flexibility and adaptability of a multi-purpose aircraft.”
In addition to the firefighting module, there are other modules available which can be speedily fitted to the C-130J, further proving its multi-role capabilities. These include air-to-air refuelling, VIP passenger capsules, maritime patrol and reconnaissance and medevac.
Top stories this week
- Tunisia court orders release of former Ben Ali officials
- Tunisia treads path to political stability but still faces tests
- Tunisia arrests Islamist militants after bomb mishap
- Tunisia sees elections in 2014, despite delays
- Tunisia police kill three suspected militants in raid near Algeria border
- Shoulder-launched anti-aircraft missiles flow abroad from Libya
- Tunisia lifts state of emergency, three years after revolt
- Tunisian Prime Minister replaces Islamist governors ahead of election
- Arab Spring will fail unless Tunisia transition succeeds
- Tunisian navy rescues nearly 100 migrants off Jerba
Airbus Defence and Space deploys LTE-based mobile CCTV solution as part of the Singapore Safe City Test Bed
by Cassidian, 22 April 2014
Airbus Defence and Space has deployed a vehicle-mounted closed circuit television solution as part of the project.
Airbus Defence and Space together with Sapura to establish long-term partnership in the field of C4ISR
by Cassidian, 17 April 2014
The companies have signed a collaboration agreement to establish a long-term co-operation in the field of C4ISR
Airbus Defence and Space presents the latest generation of electronic protection systems
by Cassidian, 16 April 2014
Airbus Defence and Space has presented new developments for the protection of troops operating in the world's hot spots.