EU Naval assists tanker after release by Somali pirates
Written by EU Navfor, Monday, 11 March 2013
The pirates had held the vessel after attacking it over a year earlier, on March 2, 2012, in the Gulf of Oman, the EU Navfor said.
On March 8 ESPS Mendez Nunez was conducting counter-piracy patrols 20 nautical miles off the northern Somali coast, when she sighted MV Royal Grace sailing north from her pirate anchorage at a speed of 4 knots. Shortly afterwards, ESPS Méndez Núñez received a radio call from the master of MV Royal Grace, who confirmed that his ship was now free of pirates and that his 20-man crew were in need of food, water and medical assistance.
ESPS Méndez Núnez quickly sent her boarding and medical teams across to the Royal Grace, and after providing the crew with food and water, they were checked over, with two being given medical treatment.
MV Royal Grace is currently en route to Muscat under the watchful eye of another EU Naval Force warship, ESPS Rayo.
Speaking about the assistance given to MV Royal Grace, Rear Admiral Bob Tarrant, who is the operation commander of the EU Naval Force said “I am relieved that the crew of MV Royal Grace are now safe and on their way home. It has been an extremely worrying time for the men and their families.”
- South African shanty-town demolition sparks riots, two guards killed
- South Africa government mulls judgment allowing domestic rhino horn trade
- Defence Minister sets record straight
- UK defence companies seeking partnerships in South Africa
- Gallery: SA Army capability demonstration
- SA Army flexes its muscle with capability demonstration
- SAMSA investigating seized Chinese trawler
- No money for Defence Review implementation
- South African and Chinese navies increase collaboration
- Minister told affirmative action doesn’t work in SANDF
Thales to build "Cyber Range", cyber security training, testing facility for Dutch Defence Cyber Command
by Thales, 23 May 2016
The cyber security training and testing facility for the Dutch Defence Cyber Command will be used to train its personnel.
Saab unveils first Gripen E
by Saab, 16 May 2016
The launch of the Gripen E test aircraft will take place at Saab's facilities in Linköping.
Paramount Group expands innovative industrial partnerships throughout Middle East
by Paramount Group, 12 May 2016
The African defence company and Jordanian partners have started the production of armoured fighting vehicles in Jordan.