EU Naval assists tanker after release by Somali pirates
Written by EU Navfor, Monday, 11 March 2013
The pirates had held the vessel after attacking it over a year earlier, on March 2, 2012, in the Gulf of Oman, the EU Navfor said.
On March 8 ESPS Mendez Nunez was conducting counter-piracy patrols 20 nautical miles off the northern Somali coast, when she sighted MV Royal Grace sailing north from her pirate anchorage at a speed of 4 knots. Shortly afterwards, ESPS Méndez Núñez received a radio call from the master of MV Royal Grace, who confirmed that his ship was now free of pirates and that his 20-man crew were in need of food, water and medical assistance.
ESPS Méndez Núnez quickly sent her boarding and medical teams across to the Royal Grace, and after providing the crew with food and water, they were checked over, with two being given medical treatment.
MV Royal Grace is currently en route to Muscat under the watchful eye of another EU Naval Force warship, ESPS Rayo.
Speaking about the assistance given to MV Royal Grace, Rear Admiral Bob Tarrant, who is the operation commander of the EU Naval Force said “I am relieved that the crew of MV Royal Grace are now safe and on their way home. It has been an extremely worrying time for the men and their families.”
Top stories this week
- Ex Red Lion “going well,” task group commander says
- Navy confirms electrical fire aboard SAS Amatola
- SA Navy not commenting on fire aboard SAS Amatola
- SA Navy controls Simon’s town dockyard – again
- Royal Navy ice patrol vessel calls on SA Navy
- South African and Chinese navies increase collaboration
- RFA Gold Rover Returns to Operations
- Navy Festival will showcase South Africa’s maritime capabilities
- Navy will practise tactical and seamanship exercises en route to Armed Forces Day
- Second Royal Navy Mediterranean drugs bust in a fortnight
Williams takes the lead in Formula One with Thales cyber security solutions
by Thales, 22 July 2016
Thales will deliver cyber security solutions for real-time global telemetry transmission to Williams Martini Racing and Williams Advanced Engineering.
First batch of Denel vehicles shipped to UAE client
by Denel Corporate, 20 July 2016
The RG31 is a Mobile Mortar Platform that is regarded for its 4x4 capabilities, mobility and the protection it offers against anti-tank mines and explosive devices.
Saab to supply KleinPort port management system to Curacao Ports Authority
by Saab, 20 July 2016
Saab will install the latest version of its KleinPort system for CPA's harbour management system.