EU Naval assists tanker after release by Somali pirates
Written by EU Navfor, Monday, 11 March 2013
The pirates had held the vessel after attacking it over a year earlier, on March 2, 2012, in the Gulf of Oman, the EU Navfor said.
On March 8 ESPS Mendez Nunez was conducting counter-piracy patrols 20 nautical miles off the northern Somali coast, when she sighted MV Royal Grace sailing north from her pirate anchorage at a speed of 4 knots. Shortly afterwards, ESPS Méndez Núñez received a radio call from the master of MV Royal Grace, who confirmed that his ship was now free of pirates and that his 20-man crew were in need of food, water and medical assistance.
ESPS Méndez Núnez quickly sent her boarding and medical teams across to the Royal Grace, and after providing the crew with food and water, they were checked over, with two being given medical treatment.
MV Royal Grace is currently en route to Muscat under the watchful eye of another EU Naval Force warship, ESPS Rayo.
Speaking about the assistance given to MV Royal Grace, Rear Admiral Bob Tarrant, who is the operation commander of the EU Naval Force said “I am relieved that the crew of MV Royal Grace are now safe and on their way home. It has been an extremely worrying time for the men and their families.”
- Al Qaeda gunmen drank in bar before unleashing Ivory Coast attack
- SA Army budget up
- Substantial drop in the SAAF budget
- Navy will spend quarter of its budget on combat capability
- Finance Minister allocates another half a billion to defence
- Armscor’s new strategic direction is firmly in place – Mudimu
- CSTC will help SAS rejuvenate South African maritime industry
- Abeking & Rasmussen signs agreements with Cape companies for Project Biro
- Paramount teaming with Navantia and Austal on Biro
- French OPV to make port call in Cape Town
South African defence company opens largest armoured vehicle factory in Central Asia
by Paramount Group, 28 April 2016
The South African-based global defence and aerospace business has opened an armoured vehicle factory in Kazakhstan.
Boeing and Paramount to collaborate on light multi-role aircraft
by Paramount Group, 25 April 2016
The advanced, high performance, reconnaissance light aircraft is designed to incorporate advanced intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance capabilities.
Chairman of Paramount Group calls for affordable defence solutions at global aerospace summit
by Paramount Group, 21 April 2016
Defence budgets are under pressure at a time when threat levels are higher than they've been in years, says Paramount Group chairman Ivor Ichikowitz.