EU Naval assists tanker after release by Somali pirates
Written by EU Navfor, Monday, 11 March 2013
The pirates had held the vessel after attacking it over a year earlier, on March 2, 2012, in the Gulf of Oman, the EU Navfor said.
On March 8 ESPS Mendez Nunez was conducting counter-piracy patrols 20 nautical miles off the northern Somali coast, when she sighted MV Royal Grace sailing north from her pirate anchorage at a speed of 4 knots. Shortly afterwards, ESPS Méndez Núñez received a radio call from the master of MV Royal Grace, who confirmed that his ship was now free of pirates and that his 20-man crew were in need of food, water and medical assistance.
ESPS Méndez Núnez quickly sent her boarding and medical teams across to the Royal Grace, and after providing the crew with food and water, they were checked over, with two being given medical treatment.
MV Royal Grace is currently en route to Muscat under the watchful eye of another EU Naval Force warship, ESPS Rayo.
Speaking about the assistance given to MV Royal Grace, Rear Admiral Bob Tarrant, who is the operation commander of the EU Naval Force said “I am relieved that the crew of MV Royal Grace are now safe and on their way home. It has been an extremely worrying time for the men and their families.”
Top stories this week
- US hands over six Hueys to Kenya – two more on the way
- More Gambian political prisoners released
- New wide area surveillance system in Kruger is another poaching deterrent
- CSIR partnering with US-based company to produce long endurance UAV
- Former SADF veterans look to be left out of defence industry charter
- US military leaders visit Niger’s Air Base 201
- Africa Partnership Flight concludes in Ghana
- Task Force Hurricane teaches Kenyan Defense Forces how to fly
- Africa Endeavour 16 concludes in Madgascar
- US Africa Command kicks off 10th Africa Endeavor in Madagascar
- Africa Readiness Training 2016 kicks off in Senegal
- AFRICOM welcomes new commander
- Nine countries are participating in Eastern Accord 2016
- Eastern Accord 2016 kicks off in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
- Central Accord prepares partners for peacekeeping
Saab Grintek Defence wins South African Exporter Award 2016
by Saab, 9 December 2016
The SA Premier Business Awards is organised by the DTI, in partnership with Proudly South Africa and Brand South Africa.
Denel partnership with European manufacturer producing results
by Denel Corporate, 9 December 2016
Denel PMP and Nordic company NAMMO will produce niche products that meet the specialised needs of the SANDF.
Denel joins forces with global leaders to market geospatial products
by Denel Corporate, 6 December 2016
Denel Integrated Systems and Maritime will team up with Hexagon Geospatial and Geo Data Design to market geospatial products.