German government agrees 330 troops for Mali support
Written by Reuters, Tuesday, 19 February 2013
The German mission, which still needs the approval of the Bundestag lower house of parliament, would not be allowed to take part in any fighting, government spokesman Steffen Seibert said in a statement.
France sent military forces to Mali in January to halt a push by rebels linked to al Qaeda that Western powers feared could turn the West African country into a springboard for further attacks, Reuters reports.
The French intervention has pushed the insurgents out of northern Mali's main urban centers into the mountains and desert.
Up to 180 German servicemen and women will join a European Union military training mission in Mali, Berlin said.
Another 150 would help transport African and French troops and fuel aircraft during the one-year mission, it added.
- ANC to take over AFB Waterkloof for private memorial service
- RESERVE FORCE COUNCIL OF SOUTH AFRICA: A TRIBUTE TO NELSON MANDELA (1918 – 2013)
- Mandela's body lying in state, thousands queue to say goodbye
- Boos, jeers humiliate South Africa's Zuma at Mandela memorial
- Cortege departs to take Mandela's body to lie in state
- Remarks by president Obama at memorial service for Nelson Mandela
- Obama, Castro shake hands as world says farewell to Mandela
- State funerals offer moments for diplomacy
- SANDF supporting Mandela commemoration, burial
- South Africans remember Mandela with praise and prayers
Pirate attacks in West Africa to double in 2014
by ParamountGroup, 27 November 2013
Paramount Naval Systems is developing a fleet of multi-role patrol vessels to prevent illegal activity and protect assets and territory.
Poynting presents collapsible LPDA tech
by Poynting Antennas, 26 November 2013
Poynting's wire LPDA design, compared to common rigid constructions, makes compact storage and extremely quick deployment possible.
Thales launches Eiji1, suite of secure mobile telecommunications services for professionals
by Thales, 22 November 2013
The mobile telecommunications suite is designed to provide secure, resilient communications for public and private security missions.