German government agrees 330 troops for Mali support
Written by Reuters, Tuesday, 19 February 2013
The German mission, which still needs the approval of the Bundestag lower house of parliament, would not be allowed to take part in any fighting, government spokesman Steffen Seibert said in a statement.
France sent military forces to Mali in January to halt a push by rebels linked to al Qaeda that Western powers feared could turn the West African country into a springboard for further attacks, Reuters reports.
The French intervention has pushed the insurgents out of northern Mali's main urban centers into the mountains and desert.
Up to 180 German servicemen and women will join a European Union military training mission in Mali, Berlin said.
Another 150 would help transport African and French troops and fuel aircraft during the one-year mission, it added.
Top stories this week
- Nigeria government talking to Niger Delta militants
- No need for panic about Nigeria sliding into recession – finance minister
- First Nigeria-South Africa Defence Industry Seminar held in Nigeria
- Nigerian state-run pipeline attacked by militants
- Nigeria says arms deals irregularities had serious consequences
- Attackers blow up gas pipeline in south-west Nigeria
- Cameroon is abusing rights in its fight against Boko Haram - Amnesty
- Indonesia to execute convicts from Nigeria and Zimbabwe this year
- Famine threatens parts of north-east Nigeria ravaged by Boko Haram
- Militants blow up oil pipelines in Nigeria's southern Niger Delta
Williams takes the lead in Formula One with Thales cyber security solutions
by Thales, 22 July 2016
Thales will deliver cyber security solutions for real-time global telemetry transmission to Williams Martini Racing and Williams Advanced Engineering.
First batch of Denel vehicles shipped to UAE client
by Denel Corporate, 20 July 2016
The RG31 is a Mobile Mortar Platform that is regarded for its 4x4 capabilities, mobility and the protection it offers against anti-tank mines and explosive devices.
Saab to supply KleinPort port management system to Curacao Ports Authority
by Saab, 20 July 2016
Saab will install the latest version of its KleinPort system for CPA's harbour management system.