Friday, January 18, 2019
Subscription Centre
Receive our free e-newsletter.
Click here for more information

Drakensberg crash board of enquiry still underway

altWhile the Minister might want speedy delivery of the preliminary report into the Drakensberg C-47TP crash the SA Air Force (SAAF) will be as “thorough as possible” in its investigations Deputy Chief Major General Jerry Malinga said.

Speaking at a memorial service at AFB Ysterplaat in December following the crash which killed 11 people Nosiviwe Mapisa-Nqakula said she had asked for finalisation of the board of enquiry’s preliminary report as soon as possible “to give the families of those killed at least some closure”.

While agreeing with her Malinga said there was no way a preliminary report would be issued until those tasked with the investigation have explored every possible avenue and there is no doubt about the cause of the crash.

“We will be as thorough as possible in the investigation so there is absolutely no doubt about the cause of the crash before any preliminary report is issued,” he said
.
Earlier this year SANDF spokesman Siphiwe Dlamini said the investigation would take as long as was necessary.

“No timeframe has or will be set for the board of enquiry to do its work.”

If the preliminary report is made public, even only to family members of those killed, it will be a first for the SAAF.


....