At least 2 Kenyan soldiers killed in Garissa gun attack
The soldiers were taking their truck for repairs at the town's main market when they were attacked.
"The soldiers that have been killed are Kenyan Defence Force soldiers (who are part of) AMISOM troops," Colonel Cyrus Oguna, a Kenyan army spokesman, told Reuters, referring to the African Union Mission in Somalia, Reuters reports.
"Two are confirmed dead. They were trying to conduct some repairs in a nearby garage when they were attacked."
It was not immediately clear if the attackers were connected to Somali Islamist militants and their sympathisers, blamed by the government in Nairobi for a surge in grenade and gun attacks in the past year following Kenya's deployment of troops into Somalia to battle al Qaeda-linked al Shabaab rebels.
Garissa, a market centre for trade in camels, donkeys, goats and cattle some 200 km (120 miles) from the Somali border, is an operating centre for the military mission in Somalia and a target for Somali insurgents.
Kenyan soldiers and Somali forces seized Kismayu, al Shabaab's last major urban stronghold in southern Somalia, six weeks ago, driving the militants out. The rebels vowed to retaliate and Kenya has since suffered numerous gun and grenade raids.
- Mozambique truce extended, boosting peace deal hopes
- Mozambique ceasefire extended
- South Africa should follow the NATO example and wrap up Op Copper
- Renamo will not abandon talks with Mozambique government
- Senior Renamo member shot and killed on beach
- Mozambique Navy to use seized fishing vessel for patrols
- Hostilities in Mozambique creating tension on Zimbabwe’s border
- ISS: Mozambique - devolution or revolution?
- ISS: The perfect storm - Mozambique's compounding crises
- Mozambique attorney-general probes undeclared sovereign borrowing
Denel seeks closure on legality of Denel Asia JV
by Denel Corporate, 24 March 2017
The company has applied to the High Court of SA for an order declaring it obtained approval to form a joint venture with VR Laser Asia.
TactiCall system has quality, performance recognised by certification
by Saab, 23 March 2017
The Airwave certificate allows Saab to install and operate the TactiCall Dispatcher products at any UK customer using Airwave.
Saab receives order for AT4 CS ER and AT4 CS HP
by Saab, 22 March 2017
The AT4 CS ER and AT4 CS HP are lightweight, man-portable, fully disposable weapons characterised by ease of use and handling.
PAZ to extend Airbus radar satellites constellation for improved monitoring capabilities by end of 2017
by AIRBUS Defence & Space, 22 March 2017
Hisdesat's PAZ will be positioned in the same orbit as TerraSAR-X and TanDEM-X, and form a high-resolution SAR satellite constellation with them.