At least 2 Kenyan soldiers killed in Garissa gun attack
Written by Reuters, Tuesday, 20 November 2012
The soldiers were taking their truck for repairs at the town's main market when they were attacked.
"The soldiers that have been killed are Kenyan Defence Force soldiers (who are part of) AMISOM troops," Colonel Cyrus Oguna, a Kenyan army spokesman, told Reuters, referring to the African Union Mission in Somalia, Reuters reports.
"Two are confirmed dead. They were trying to conduct some repairs in a nearby garage when they were attacked."
It was not immediately clear if the attackers were connected to Somali Islamist militants and their sympathisers, blamed by the government in Nairobi for a surge in grenade and gun attacks in the past year following Kenya's deployment of troops into Somalia to battle al Qaeda-linked al Shabaab rebels.
Garissa, a market centre for trade in camels, donkeys, goats and cattle some 200 km (120 miles) from the Somali border, is an operating centre for the military mission in Somalia and a target for Somali insurgents.
Kenyan soldiers and Somali forces seized Kismayu, al Shabaab's last major urban stronghold in southern Somalia, six weeks ago, driving the militants out. The rebels vowed to retaliate and Kenya has since suffered numerous gun and grenade raids.
Top stories this week
- Kruger helicopter crash investigation reveals training and skills shortfalls
- Norway and South Africa co-operating on stopping illegal and unlawful fishing
- Mali and Egypt to receive C295s this year
- US military veterans coming to help in the fight against rhino poaching
- Mid-life upgrades for SA Navy Valour Class frigates
- U.S. begins targeted sanctions on Congo official
- Congo opposition leader sentenced in absentia to three years in prison
- DR Congolese gets 18 years for Central African Republic war crimes
- UN early warning report sees Burundi scenario in DRC
- Nine killed as DR Congo troops clash with ex-militia fighters
- ISS: Male victims of sexual violence: war's silent sufferers
- DR Congo frees U.S. security adviser working for presidential contender
- Congo to launch new crackdown on criminal gangs
- U.S. wants sanctions on DR Congo leaders, Europe not so sure
- SANDF ups it quota of instructors to Mission Thebe, apparently without due authorisation
AT4 Roquette NG, Carl-Gustaf M4 and NLAW lands at Eurosatory 2016
by Saab, 14 June 2016
These will be presented at Eurosatory 2016 in Paris, including AT4 Roquette NG, Carl-Gustaf M4, and NLAW.
Intelligent camouflage: the future step for Saab Barracuda
by Saab, 14 June 2016
At Eurosatory 2016 Saab highlights new concepts within the field of intelligent camouflage to the attending audience.
Saab to deliver CBRN equipment to Swedish Civil Contingencies Agency
by Saab, 9 June 2016
The company will deliver the test kits with advanced indication equipment to the Swedish Civil Contingencies Agency, in September.