At least 2 Kenyan soldiers killed in Garissa gun attack
Written by Reuters, Tuesday, 20 November 2012
The soldiers were taking their truck for repairs at the town's main market when they were attacked.
"The soldiers that have been killed are Kenyan Defence Force soldiers (who are part of) AMISOM troops," Colonel Cyrus Oguna, a Kenyan army spokesman, told Reuters, referring to the African Union Mission in Somalia, Reuters reports.
"Two are confirmed dead. They were trying to conduct some repairs in a nearby garage when they were attacked."
It was not immediately clear if the attackers were connected to Somali Islamist militants and their sympathisers, blamed by the government in Nairobi for a surge in grenade and gun attacks in the past year following Kenya's deployment of troops into Somalia to battle al Qaeda-linked al Shabaab rebels.
Garissa, a market centre for trade in camels, donkeys, goats and cattle some 200 km (120 miles) from the Somali border, is an operating centre for the military mission in Somalia and a target for Somali insurgents.
Kenyan soldiers and Somali forces seized Kismayu, al Shabaab's last major urban stronghold in southern Somalia, six weeks ago, driving the militants out. The rebels vowed to retaliate and Kenya has since suffered numerous gun and grenade raids.
- Indicted opposition leader leaves Congo for treatment in S.Africa
- Arrest warrant issued for DR Congo opposition leader
- Congo president shows would-be successor who is in charge
- U.N. experts accuse DR Congo general of aiding attacks on civilians
- DR Congo police detain at least four activists protesting massacres
- DR Congo opposition leader in hospital after police fire tear gas
- DR Congo police fire tear gas at opposition supporters
- Congo police fire tear gas at supporters of opposition leader
- DR Congo captures senior commander of Rwandan genocide-linked rebels
- Three Red Cross staff kidnapped in DR Congo are free - ICRC
Thales to build "Cyber Range", cyber security training, testing facility for Dutch Defence Cyber Command
by Thales, 23 May 2016
The cyber security training and testing facility for the Dutch Defence Cyber Command will be used to train its personnel.
Saab unveils first Gripen E
by Saab, 16 May 2016
The launch of the Gripen E test aircraft will take place at Saab's facilities in Linköping.
Paramount Group expands innovative industrial partnerships throughout Middle East
by Paramount Group, 12 May 2016
The African defence company and Jordanian partners have started the production of armoured fighting vehicles in Jordan.