At least 2 Kenyan soldiers killed in Garissa gun attack
Written by Reuters, Tuesday, 20 November 2012
The soldiers were taking their truck for repairs at the town's main market when they were attacked.
"The soldiers that have been killed are Kenyan Defence Force soldiers (who are part of) AMISOM troops," Colonel Cyrus Oguna, a Kenyan army spokesman, told Reuters, referring to the African Union Mission in Somalia, Reuters reports.
"Two are confirmed dead. They were trying to conduct some repairs in a nearby garage when they were attacked."
It was not immediately clear if the attackers were connected to Somali Islamist militants and their sympathisers, blamed by the government in Nairobi for a surge in grenade and gun attacks in the past year following Kenya's deployment of troops into Somalia to battle al Qaeda-linked al Shabaab rebels.
Garissa, a market centre for trade in camels, donkeys, goats and cattle some 200 km (120 miles) from the Somali border, is an operating centre for the military mission in Somalia and a target for Somali insurgents.
Kenyan soldiers and Somali forces seized Kismayu, al Shabaab's last major urban stronghold in southern Somalia, six weeks ago, driving the militants out. The rebels vowed to retaliate and Kenya has since suffered numerous gun and grenade raids.
Top stories this week
- Zimbabwe war veterans turn on "dictator" Mugabe, exposing rifts
- Zimbabwe to pay army, police late as cash crisis deepens
- With faith and Facebook, Zimbabwe preacher takes on Mugabe
- Mugabe supporters march against Zimbabwe protests
- Zimbabwe's Mugabe says activist pastor funded by foreign states
- ISS: Can Zimbabwe's #ThisFlag movement lead to real political change?
- Zimbabwe fails to pay military on time for second month running
- Zimbabwe finance minister blames sanctions for cash crunch
- Zimbabweans suffers “savage” police abuse as anti-Mugade movement grows
- Zimbabwe court dismisses case against anti-Mugabe pastor
Williams takes the lead in Formula One with Thales cyber security solutions
by Thales, 22 July 2016
Thales will deliver cyber security solutions for real-time global telemetry transmission to Williams Martini Racing and Williams Advanced Engineering.
First batch of Denel vehicles shipped to UAE client
by Denel Corporate, 20 July 2016
The RG31 is a Mobile Mortar Platform that is regarded for its 4x4 capabilities, mobility and the protection it offers against anti-tank mines and explosive devices.
Saab to supply KleinPort port management system to Curacao Ports Authority
by Saab, 20 July 2016
Saab will install the latest version of its KleinPort system for CPA's harbour management system.