Ghana to take delivery of six Mi-17s next year
Written by defenceWeb, Thursday, 18 October 2012
"We have signed a contract this year to sell six Mi-17s to Ghana," said Rosoboronexport Deputy Director Alexander Mikheyev. The first two aircraft will be delivered to Ghana in a year, he added, noting that talks are also underway about setting up a helicopter service centre in the region.
Ghana has a very small air force, with around 2000 personnel. According to The Military Balance 2012, it has nine transport aircraft, including one Britten-Norman BN-2 Defender, three Cessna 172s, four Fokker F-27 Friendships and one Fokker F-28 Fellowship. The latter is used for VIP transport, which is one of the air force’s main duties.
In the way of combat aircraft, Ghana’s air force only has three single seat Aermacchi MB-326K ground attack aircraft. It also has two MB-339, two L-39ZO and four Hongdu K-8 Karakorum trainers.
Ghana’s air force has been undergoing expansion of late, receiving three Diamond DA 42 MPP Guardian surveillance and training aircraft from Austria and two C295 transports from Airbus Military. It is also scheduled to take delivery of an Embraer 190 from Brazil.
The second C295 arrived in Ghana in April, after the first delivery in November 2011. In the future, Ghana plans to base two C-295s in each city as part of their long-term vision for an expanded fleet, but as it currently stands, Ghana has only ordered two C295s, according to Airbus. Ghana may also acquire up to six DA 42s.
Top stories this week
- Fears for peace deal as fighting flares in Mali’s north
- Fighting erupts in northern Mali town of Kidal
- Mali extends state of emergency by 10 days as Islamist violence surges
- Islamist militants kill 17 soldiers in attack on Mali army base
- Militants seize army base in central Mali
- Mali's peace pact under strain, deepening jihadi threat
- Airbus beats Boeing on orders tally at Farnborough show
- Dutch to withdraw seven 'essential' helicopters from Mali
- Conflict in two African countries places World Heritage Sites in danger
- Airbus plays down A380 cutback as storm clouds gather
Williams takes the lead in Formula One with Thales cyber security solutions
by Thales, 22 July 2016
Thales will deliver cyber security solutions for real-time global telemetry transmission to Williams Martini Racing and Williams Advanced Engineering.
First batch of Denel vehicles shipped to UAE client
by Denel Corporate, 20 July 2016
The RG31 is a Mobile Mortar Platform that is regarded for its 4x4 capabilities, mobility and the protection it offers against anti-tank mines and explosive devices.
Saab to supply KleinPort port management system to Curacao Ports Authority
by Saab, 20 July 2016
Saab will install the latest version of its KleinPort system for CPA's harbour management system.