Ghana to take delivery of six Mi-17s next year
Written by defenceWeb, Thursday, 18 October 2012
"We have signed a contract this year to sell six Mi-17s to Ghana," said Rosoboronexport Deputy Director Alexander Mikheyev. The first two aircraft will be delivered to Ghana in a year, he added, noting that talks are also underway about setting up a helicopter service centre in the region.
Ghana has a very small air force, with around 2000 personnel. According to The Military Balance 2012, it has nine transport aircraft, including one Britten-Norman BN-2 Defender, three Cessna 172s, four Fokker F-27 Friendships and one Fokker F-28 Fellowship. The latter is used for VIP transport, which is one of the air force’s main duties.
In the way of combat aircraft, Ghana’s air force only has three single seat Aermacchi MB-326K ground attack aircraft. It also has two MB-339, two L-39ZO and four Hongdu K-8 Karakorum trainers.
Ghana’s air force has been undergoing expansion of late, receiving three Diamond DA 42 MPP Guardian surveillance and training aircraft from Austria and two C295 transports from Airbus Military. It is also scheduled to take delivery of an Embraer 190 from Brazil.
The second C295 arrived in Ghana in April, after the first delivery in November 2011. In the future, Ghana plans to base two C-295s in each city as part of their long-term vision for an expanded fleet, but as it currently stands, Ghana has only ordered two C295s, according to Airbus. Ghana may also acquire up to six DA 42s.
Top stories this week
- Ghana and U.S. maritime forces complete combined maritime law enforcement operation
- Ghana Defence Chief visits Africom
- Russian Helicopters goes into high gear
- Ghana to send troops to South Sudan
- Ghana says Ivory Coast sent agents to kill exiles.
- Ghana, Ivory Coast aim to settle maritime boundary peacefully
- Five plead guilty after cocaine ship is seized in Ghana waters
- Egypt seeking Russian arms after US aid cut
- Ghana to set up special naval units, maritime crime courts to counter piracy
- Denel opens Africa’s first Russian helicopter maintenance facility
Airbus Defence and Space deploys LTE-based mobile CCTV solution as part of the Singapore Safe City Test Bed
by Cassidian, 22 April 2014
Airbus Defence and Space has deployed a vehicle-mounted closed circuit television solution as part of the project.
Airbus Defence and Space together with Sapura to establish long-term partnership in the field of C4ISR
by Cassidian, 17 April 2014
The companies have signed a collaboration agreement to establish a long-term co-operation in the field of C4ISR
Airbus Defence and Space presents the latest generation of electronic protection systems
by Cassidian, 16 April 2014
Airbus Defence and Space has presented new developments for the protection of troops operating in the world's hot spots.