Giovanni Tumbiolo, president of the fishing industry association in the Sicilian town of Mazara del Vallo, the home port of the vessels, told TGCom 24 television they had been taken to Alexandria but he had few details on the incident.
"It is very strange that they were asked to follow the Egyptian naval vessel to Alexandria," he said.
The foreign ministry in Rome said Italy's ambassador in Cairo was in touch with Egyptian officials. Foreign Minister Giulio Terzi, who had just returned from a visit to Cairo, would contact his counterpart in Egypt, it added, Reuters reports.
Top stories this week
- Navy wants Simon’s town dockyard back – Mudimu
- Joint Navy/City of Cape Town disaster exercise
- Navy commences with Exercise Red Lion 2013
- Atlantis Aviation, Absolute Aviation team up
- New defenceWeb galleries a hit
- New gallery: AAD 2012 air show
- New gallery: AAD 2012 capability demonstration
- South African Navy hosts sport awards ceremony
- AAD 2012 gallery
- South African Navy to resume maritime security operations in Mozambique Channel
INTS Systems Management helps prepare defence bids
13 May 2013 - A South African company is exploiting a gap in the market by offering to assist companies prepare bids for Armscor and other defence and government organisations.
Cybicom Atlas Defence, Rhino Marine team up
29 April 2013 - Cybicom Atlas Defence and Rhino Marine have taken another step forward in their joint concept for small boat operations aimed at the South African Navy. The latest 9m HDPE demonstrator ...
defenceWeb launches African Militaries profiles
29 April 2013 - defenceWeb is proud to announce the launch of a new portal providing detailed insight into militaries on the African continent. The site's African Militaries section gives a comprehensive picture of ...