Naval Operations Centre opens in Djibouti
The President of the Republic of Djibouti, Ismail Omar Guelleh, attended the opening ceremony on Wednesday. Djiboutian military and civilian authorities were present, along with representatives from the USA and France, who provided support to Djibouti for the building and fitting of the operations centre.
European Union Naval Force (EU Navfor) ships operating under Operation Atalanta will be conducting exercises in the coming weeks with the Djiboutian Navy and Coast Guard and very much welcome the opening of new operational centre, as it is seen as another step in contributing to the fight against piracy and maritime capacity building in the region, the EU Navfor said.
Djiboutian Navy and Coast Guard personnel have been receiving training from US and European naval forces in an effort to strengthen Djibouti’s naval forces and enhance cooperation with foreign navies in the region. Some of this training has been in preparation for the Operations Centre. Earlier this year Djiboutian Navy sailors were briefed on Mercury, an Internet-based secured network used as an alert and coordination by all the anti-piracy stakeholders, civilian and military.
The EU Navfor earlier said that trining help navies and coast guards in the region to further develop their own maritime capabilities, while allowing EU Navfor ships to take advantage of their experience and knowledge of the area. This also facilitates subsequent contacts during any counter-piracy operation during which collaboration may be necessary.
- Turkey to open military base in Mogadishu
- Four months before starvation crisis point hits in Yemen and Somalia
- Somaliland drought “nightmare” and a security threat
- Somali PM names new cabinet
- Somali security forces that freed pirated ship say NATO must do more
- Somalia asks Saudi coalition to investigate refugee boat attack
- EU Navfor urges vigilance after Somali hijacking
- Somali pirates release hijacked ship and crew without ransom
- Somali Islamists let drought-hit civilians roam in search of food
- Somali force and pirates aboard hijacked vessel exchange fire
Denel seeks closure on legality of Denel Asia JV
by Denel Corporate, 24 March 2017
The company has applied to the High Court of SA for an order declaring it obtained approval to form a joint venture with VR Laser Asia.
TactiCall system has quality, performance recognised by certification
by Saab, 23 March 2017
The Airwave certificate allows Saab to install and operate the TactiCall Dispatcher products at any UK customer using Airwave.
Saab receives order for AT4 CS ER and AT4 CS HP
by Saab, 22 March 2017
The AT4 CS ER and AT4 CS HP are lightweight, man-portable, fully disposable weapons characterised by ease of use and handling.