(1) How many officials of her department have been (a) investigated for and (b) charged with corruption (i) in the (aa) 2007-08, (bb) 2008-09, (cc) 2009-10 and (dd) 2010-11 financial years and (ii) during the period 1 April 2011 up to the latest specified date for which information is available;
(2) Whether any of the said officials have been promoted whilst they were under investigation; if so, what are the relevant details;
(3) Whether any officials of her department have been found guilty of substance abuse on duty (a) in the (i) 2007-08, (ii) 2008-09, (iii) 2009-10 and (iv) 2010-11 financial years and (b) during the period 1 April 2011 up to the latest specified date for which information is available; if so, (aa) how many and (bb) what are the further relevant details;
(4) Whether any officials of her department have been found to have been promoted into positions they are not qualified to hold (a) in the (i) 2007-08, (ii) 2008-09, (iii) 2009-10 and (iv) 2010-11 financial years and (b) during the period 1 April 2011 up to the latest specified date for which information is available; if so, (aa) how many and (bb) what are the further relevant details;
(5) Whether any of the said officials have since been removed from the specified positions; if not, why not; if so, what are the relevant details?
(1) (a) and (b),
* DCS Disciplinary Code Clause (i) refers. Data includes cases of theft, Bribery, Fraud and
(i) (aa) 2007/08 - 424
(bb) 2008/09 - 143
(cc) 2009/10 - 87
(dd) 2010/11 - 172
(ii) 2011/12 up to 31 January 2012 - 69
(2) The Department is not aware of employees who were promoted whilst being investigated. If the honourable member is in possession of the names of individuals who allegedly have been promoted whilst investigations were pending, I would welcome such information to enable me to look into the possibility of erroneous promotions.
The data for the number of guilty verdicts per misconduct category for the financial years 2007/2008/2009 and 2010 are not readily available in DCS Head Office and must be obtained from Management Areas. However, information about the number of cases registered per misconduct category and the successful prosecution rate per financial year are available. Based on averages it would be possible to provide approximate figures for the said financial years. The exact figure for the 2011/12 financial year up to 31 January 2012 is available and is provided below:
(a) (i) Yes
48 – (61 cases were recorded with a successful prosecution rate of 78.5%)
20 – (24 cases were recorded with a successful prosecution rate of 84.6)
10 – (12 cases were recorded with a successful prosecution rate of 82.5%)
83 – (110 cases were recorded with a successful prosecution rate of 75%)
(b) 2011/12 – up to 31 January 2012
(aa) Since 1 April 2007 a total of 232 employees have been found guilty on charges of substance abuse.
Approximate figure. Refer to the note above.
(bb) No further details are provided.
(4) No, posts in the department are filled in line with the requirements as advertised.
(5) Based on our response to question (4) above, the department has not removed any official from his/her position.
Top stories this week
- Atlas Elektronik, Thales Deutschland to modernise combat system of F124 frigate
- Jean-Bernard Levy, Chairman and CEO of Thales
- Thales wins navigation contract for St Helena Island's first airport
- Atlantic Airways selects entire Thales Avionics package for new Airbus aircraft
- 2012 marks important milestone for Thales's CSR and anticorruption policies
- Australian Army orders 214 additional Bushmasters
- SA Army gains Cytoon
- France, Britain agree on UAV cooperation amid strengthening of defence ties
- Britain set for Falklands Islands oil windfall
- UK scraps torture inquiry while police probe Libya cases
defenceWeb shines at Air Capability Demonstration
21 May 2013 - defenceWeb, Africas leading defence and security news portal, was invited by the South African Air Force to attend its annual Air Capability Demonstration a spectacular live-fire showcase of the ...
Airbus Military, EADS North America deliver HC 144A Maintenance Training Unit to US Coast Guard
16 May 2013 - The US Coast Guard Aviation Logistics Center has purchased the prototype CN235 aircraft and plans to transform it into an HC-144A maintenance training unit. The HC-144A is based ...
INTS Systems Management helps prepare defence bids
13 May 2013 - A South African company is exploiting a gap in the market by offering to assist companies prepare bids for Armscor and other defence and government organisations.