The UAE, Boeing's sixth international C-17 customer, received its first airlifter on May 10, 2011. Since that time, the UAE Air Force and Air Defence C-17 fleet has amassed more than 2000 flight hours and carried more than 3000 passengers and nearly 4 million pounds of cargo.
As a part of the worldwide C-17 "virtual fleet," UAE C-17s are supported through the Boeing C-17 Globemaster III Integrated Sustainment Program (GISP), a Performance-Based Logistics agreement. The GISP arrangement provides the highest airlift mission-capable rate at one of the lowest costs per flying hour, Boeing says in a statement.
Boeing has delivered 243 C-17s worldwide, including 216 to the U.S. Air Force active duty, Guard and Reserve units. A total of 27 C-17s have been delivered to Australia, Canada, Qatar, the United Arab Emirates, the United Kingdom, and the 12-member Strategic Airlift Capability initiative of NATO and Partnership for Peace nations. India has 10 C-17s on order for delivery in 2013 and 2014.
- Hostilities break out again in DRC ahead of UN intervention brigade deployment
- SANDF contingent training hard for DRC deployment
- First Tanzanian elements of UN intervention brigade arrive in DRC
- Violence hits DRC civilians hard - ICRC
- CAR deployment was “not only a South African decision” – Defence Minister
- SANDF will be part of UN DRC intervention brigade
- Armed gangs put CAR humanitarian aid at risk
- SANDF involvement in DRC intervention brigade held back for “security”
- No more SA soldiers in CAR – SANDF
- SANDF to be part of UN DRC intervention brigade
Air traffic networks across SA modernised
24 May 2013 - Thales and Air Traffic Navigation Services (ATNS) Company of South Africa longstanding partners in air traffic management (ATM) systems are immensely proud to announce the recent signature of several significant ...
defenceWeb shines at Air Capability Demonstration
21 May 2013 - defenceWeb, Africas leading defence and security news portal, was invited by the South African Air Force to attend its annual Air Capability Demonstration a spectacular live-fire showcase of the ...
Airbus Military, EADS North America deliver HC 144A Maintenance Training Unit to US Coast Guard
16 May 2013 - The US Coast Guard Aviation Logistics Center has purchased the prototype CN235 aircraft and plans to transform it into an HC-144A maintenance training unit. The HC-144A is based ...