Armed Bedouins enter Sinai peace force camp
Written by Reuters, Friday, 16 March 2012
Sinai Bedouin complain of unfair treatment and government neglect and press their demands by blocking roads and occasionally taking tourists hostage, releasing them soon afterwards following negotiations with the authorities.
Such incidents have become more frequent since the overthrow of Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak last year loosened the grip of state security and deepened lawlessness in the isolated Sinai.
Wednesday's entry of the camp was the first time Bedouin have blocked off a base used by the multinational force that oversees observance of Egypt's peace treaty with Israel by patrolling their heavily guarded Sinai frontier.
The protest began a week ago as the Bedouin cut roads to the base with burning tyres and escalated when they cut through a perimeter fence and dozens entered the camp.
"They are ready to storm the buildings at any time," said a fellow Bedouin in contact with the men staging the protest.
A security official said the Bedouin had the camp surrounded on four sides to prevent any vehicles or staff at the base from entering or leaving.
No confrontation was reported for now but the security official and a Bedouin source, who both spoke on condition of anonymity, said the Bedouin have threatened to escalate the situation if their demands were not met.
The Multinational Force and Observers director in Cairo, Kathleen Riley, refused to confirm the incident, saying the force "does not comment about its operations".
The force includes military staff from 12 countries including the United States, Colombia, France and Uruguay, the MFO website said. It was not clear how many troops were stationed in the Sinai camp or their nationalities.
Other Bedouin cut a main road in Sinai that leads to a commercial crossing between Egypt and Israel this week.
- South African court calls for review of decision to drop Zuma corruption charges
- Desert Wolf and Marine Data Solutions install FLIR sensors for Durban’s port
- Dimension Data and Cisco to protect rhinos by tracking people
- ISS: Freedom Day 2016 - South Africa still fraught and divided
- South African police to investigate Malema for 'reckless' speech
- Denel praises youthful innovation
- More work required at Naval Base Durban
- SANDF Legal Services comes second – again – in ongoing Union Buildings protest litigation
- South Africa's ANC to sue Malema over threat to take up arms
- Nautic Africa launches Nautic Maritime Training Academy
South African defence company opens largest armoured vehicle factory in Central Asia
by Paramount Group, 28 April 2016
The South African-based global defence and aerospace business has opened an armoured vehicle factory in Kazakhstan.
Boeing and Paramount to collaborate on light multi-role aircraft
by Paramount Group, 25 April 2016
The advanced, high performance, reconnaissance light aircraft is designed to incorporate advanced intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance capabilities.
Chairman of Paramount Group calls for affordable defence solutions at global aerospace summit
by Paramount Group, 21 April 2016
Defence budgets are under pressure at a time when threat levels are higher than they've been in years, says Paramount Group chairman Ivor Ichikowitz.