Cobra helmets for SAAF Gripen
Written by defenceWeb, Thursday, 22 September 2011
A HMD displays data directly onto the helmet visor, allowing the Gripen pilot to stay ‘heads up’ at crucial points in the mission. The Cobra is a binocular system that displays both air-to-air and air-to-ground weapons symbology, as well as basic flight data, SAAB says in a statement.
Selected to meet the stringent requirements of the Gripen, the ‘Cobra’ Integrated Display Helmet provides, all weather, all attitude operation over the full combat flight envelope. As a key component to the Gripen weapon delivery system, capabilities include weapon/sensor slaving with real world overlay of flight parameters, sensor data, target cuing and weapon status. These are designed to maximize effectiveness across the whole spectrum of tactical missions.
The Cobra will also allow the SAAF Gripen fighters to use the full potential of their IR-missiles IRIS-T and the future A-Darter, in close-in air combat. The HMD increases the with-in-visual range air-to-air capability considerably. The two first operational flights with the HMD were performed by Officer Commanding, 2 Squadron n, Lt Col Musa Mbhokota. The Instructor in the rear seat was Saab Test Pilot Robin Nordlander.
Apart from the South African Air force, the HMD system will also be integrated into Swedish Air Force Gripen fighters.
Top stories this week
- Mozambique ceasefire extended
- South Africa should follow the NATO example and wrap up Op Copper
- Renamo will not abandon talks with Mozambique government
- Senior Renamo member shot and killed on beach
- Mozambique Navy to use seized fishing vessel for patrols
- Hostilities in Mozambique creating tension on Zimbabwe’s border
- ISS: Mozambique - devolution or revolution?
- ISS: The perfect storm - Mozambique's compounding crises
- Mozambique attorney-general probes undeclared sovereign borrowing
- ISS: Taking stock of conflict around the continent
Invitation to Saab's annual Gripen seminar
by Saab, 22 February 2017
The media, financial analysts and investors have been asked to attend the seminar in Stockholm, Sweden, on 15 March.
Saab launches CoastControl, next level of Coastal Security, at IDEX 2017
by Saab, 21 February 2017
CoastControl combines surveillance and communications products with a workflow management tool to help coastal security personnel stay ahead of any situation.
Saab to deliver CBRN equipment to INTERPOL
by Saab, 21 February 2017
The CBRN sampling equipment and a certified transport packaging container will be delivered to INTERPOL's BioTerrorism Prevention Unit.