Cobra helmets for SAAF Gripen
Written by defenceWeb, Thursday, 22 September 2011
A HMD displays data directly onto the helmet visor, allowing the Gripen pilot to stay ‘heads up’ at crucial points in the mission. The Cobra is a binocular system that displays both air-to-air and air-to-ground weapons symbology, as well as basic flight data, SAAB says in a statement.
Selected to meet the stringent requirements of the Gripen, the ‘Cobra’ Integrated Display Helmet provides, all weather, all attitude operation over the full combat flight envelope. As a key component to the Gripen weapon delivery system, capabilities include weapon/sensor slaving with real world overlay of flight parameters, sensor data, target cuing and weapon status. These are designed to maximize effectiveness across the whole spectrum of tactical missions.
The Cobra will also allow the SAAF Gripen fighters to use the full potential of their IR-missiles IRIS-T and the future A-Darter, in close-in air combat. The HMD increases the with-in-visual range air-to-air capability considerably. The two first operational flights with the HMD were performed by Officer Commanding, 2 Squadron n, Lt Col Musa Mbhokota. The Instructor in the rear seat was Saab Test Pilot Robin Nordlander.
Apart from the South African Air force, the HMD system will also be integrated into Swedish Air Force Gripen fighters.
Top stories this week
- South African police to investigate Malema for 'reckless' speech
- More work required at Naval Base Durban
- SA/Russian military relations cemented during Ministerial Moscow visit
- Desert Wolf and Marine Data Solutions install FLIR sensors for Durban’s port
- SA State Security minister worried about terrorism, border security
- Denel praises youthful innovation
- Denel board confirms suspended chief executive will not return
- Denel’s Malaysian exports programme starting to bear fruit
- No word from Denel on apparent dismissal of chief executive
- Denel dismisses CEO while promoting Asian business
- Denel Asia not a done deal yet
- New Nigerian Army Aviation Corps seeks helicopters, UAVs
- Investigation into Denel execs’ suspension due to conclude in June
- Denel Mechem developing smaller Casspir
- SAAF confirms reactivation of 10 Squadron
South African defence company opens largest armoured vehicle factory in Central Asia
by Paramount Group, 28 April 2016
The South African-based global defence and aerospace business has opened an armoured vehicle factory in Kazakhstan.
Boeing and Paramount to collaborate on light multi-role aircraft
by Paramount Group, 25 April 2016
The advanced, high performance, reconnaissance light aircraft is designed to incorporate advanced intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance capabilities.
Chairman of Paramount Group calls for affordable defence solutions at global aerospace summit
by Paramount Group, 21 April 2016
Defence budgets are under pressure at a time when threat levels are higher than they've been in years, says Paramount Group chairman Ivor Ichikowitz.