Cobra helmets for SAAF Gripen
Written by defenceWeb, Thursday, 22 September 2011
A HMD displays data directly onto the helmet visor, allowing the Gripen pilot to stay ‘heads up’ at crucial points in the mission. The Cobra is a binocular system that displays both air-to-air and air-to-ground weapons symbology, as well as basic flight data, SAAB says in a statement.
Selected to meet the stringent requirements of the Gripen, the ‘Cobra’ Integrated Display Helmet provides, all weather, all attitude operation over the full combat flight envelope. As a key component to the Gripen weapon delivery system, capabilities include weapon/sensor slaving with real world overlay of flight parameters, sensor data, target cuing and weapon status. These are designed to maximize effectiveness across the whole spectrum of tactical missions.
The Cobra will also allow the SAAF Gripen fighters to use the full potential of their IR-missiles IRIS-T and the future A-Darter, in close-in air combat. The HMD increases the with-in-visual range air-to-air capability considerably. The two first operational flights with the HMD were performed by Officer Commanding, 2 Squadron n, Lt Col Musa Mbhokota. The Instructor in the rear seat was Saab Test Pilot Robin Nordlander.
Apart from the South African Air force, the HMD system will also be integrated into Swedish Air Force Gripen fighters.
- Al Qaeda branch rallies jihadists to join forces after Mali merger
- SAS Amatola heading home after Exercise Good Hope VII
- US Air Force uses drone for C-17 post flight inspection
- Germany agrees to deport Tunisian wanted over 2015 museum attack
- Mali plans new Senate chamber in shake up of constitution
- Timbuktu in the hands of armed groups
- Germany to buy Triton drone to replace cancelled Euro Hawk
- German helicopters spring into action in Mali
- Militants kill Malian soldiers
- Tunisia agrees to take back 1,500 migrants – Merkel
Denel seeks closure on legality of Denel Asia JV
by Denel Corporate, 24 March 2017
The company has applied to the High Court of SA for an order declaring it obtained approval to form a joint venture with VR Laser Asia.
TactiCall system has quality, performance recognised by certification
by Saab, 23 March 2017
The Airwave certificate allows Saab to install and operate the TactiCall Dispatcher products at any UK customer using Airwave.
Saab receives order for AT4 CS ER and AT4 CS HP
by Saab, 22 March 2017
The AT4 CS ER and AT4 CS HP are lightweight, man-portable, fully disposable weapons characterised by ease of use and handling.