Cobra helmets for SAAF Gripen
Written by defenceWeb, Thursday, 22 September 2011
A HMD displays data directly onto the helmet visor, allowing the Gripen pilot to stay ‘heads up’ at crucial points in the mission. The Cobra is a binocular system that displays both air-to-air and air-to-ground weapons symbology, as well as basic flight data, SAAB says in a statement.
Selected to meet the stringent requirements of the Gripen, the ‘Cobra’ Integrated Display Helmet provides, all weather, all attitude operation over the full combat flight envelope. As a key component to the Gripen weapon delivery system, capabilities include weapon/sensor slaving with real world overlay of flight parameters, sensor data, target cuing and weapon status. These are designed to maximize effectiveness across the whole spectrum of tactical missions.
The Cobra will also allow the SAAF Gripen fighters to use the full potential of their IR-missiles IRIS-T and the future A-Darter, in close-in air combat. The HMD increases the with-in-visual range air-to-air capability considerably. The two first operational flights with the HMD were performed by Officer Commanding, 2 Squadron n, Lt Col Musa Mbhokota. The Instructor in the rear seat was Saab Test Pilot Robin Nordlander.
Apart from the South African Air force, the HMD system will also be integrated into Swedish Air Force Gripen fighters.
Top stories this week
- Airbus talking to SAAF on A400M, A330MRTT and C295
- South African remotely piloted aircraft regulations become operational on July 1
- All is not well in the Department of Military Veterans - DA
- Mapisa-Nqakula wishes for a defence budget that is two percent of GDP
- Problem areas for Seriti Commission named by retired police general
- A-Darter contract moves missile programme forward
- Saab Grintek Defence growing as global EW player
- SAAF should consider selling Gripens and buying transports
- Saab finalizes $5.4 billion Brazil order for 36 fighter jets
- South Africa hosts Gripen User Group
- No Gripen for Switzerland, but Czech Republic confirms continued support
- Saab opens Botswana office
- Brazil going Gripen
- Brazilian Perspectives on the Fighter Decision: Shaping a Defense Perimeter for Brazil
- SAAF receives Gripen support contract
Paramount's Anti-Poaching and K9 Academy scoops top global, South African awards for best PR campaign
by Paramount Group, 22 May 2015
The company was awarded a Gold Sabre in the Geographic Category for Africa for Paramount's K9 Anti-Poaching Awareness Campaign.
Saab receives order for artillery ammunition
by Saab, 20 May 2015
Work on the SEK 114 million order will be performed by Saab's subsidiary, Saab Bofors Dynamics Switzerland.
Airbus Defence and Space launches satellite data management solution for machine-to-machine networks
by AIRBUS Defence & Space, 5 May 2015
The satellite data management solution for machine-to-machine networks provides visibility and control of satellite data in a single multi-device solution.
Upgraded PS-05/A radar gives Gripen C/D extended performance, operating range
by Saab, 29 April 2015
The PS-05/A Mk4's hardware configuration with a new radar back-end gives improved radar performance and operational range, says Saab.
Saab signs contract with Brazil on weapon acquisition for Gripen NG
by Saab, 28 April 2015
The total order value for the Gripen NG weapon acquisition by the Brazilian Ministry of Defence is approximately $245 million.
Nautic Africa acquires Anchor Boat Shop
by Nautic Africa, 24 April 2015
Established nearly 80 years ago, the boat producer holds the exclusive rights for Yamaha engine sales in Africa.