Cobra helmets for SAAF Gripen
Written by defenceWeb, Thursday, 22 September 2011
A HMD displays data directly onto the helmet visor, allowing the Gripen pilot to stay ‘heads up’ at crucial points in the mission. The Cobra is a binocular system that displays both air-to-air and air-to-ground weapons symbology, as well as basic flight data, SAAB says in a statement.
Selected to meet the stringent requirements of the Gripen, the ‘Cobra’ Integrated Display Helmet provides, all weather, all attitude operation over the full combat flight envelope. As a key component to the Gripen weapon delivery system, capabilities include weapon/sensor slaving with real world overlay of flight parameters, sensor data, target cuing and weapon status. These are designed to maximize effectiveness across the whole spectrum of tactical missions.
The Cobra will also allow the SAAF Gripen fighters to use the full potential of their IR-missiles IRIS-T and the future A-Darter, in close-in air combat. The HMD increases the with-in-visual range air-to-air capability considerably. The two first operational flights with the HMD were performed by Officer Commanding, 2 Squadron n, Lt Col Musa Mbhokota. The Instructor in the rear seat was Saab Test Pilot Robin Nordlander.
Apart from the South African Air force, the HMD system will also be integrated into Swedish Air Force Gripen fighters.
Top stories this week
- Home Affairs sets up team to look at visa regulation implementation
- ISS: Prosecuting Kenyatta - damned if you do, damned if you don't
- Paramount establishes Paramount Aerospace Azerbaijan
- Three rhinos shot every day in South Africa
- Specialist training needed if Army is to contribute more to counter-poaching
- South Africa hosts Gripen User Group
- No Gripen for Switzerland, but Czech Republic confirms continued support
- Saab opens Botswana office
- Brazil going Gripen
- Brazilian Perspectives on the Fighter Decision: Shaping a Defense Perimeter for Brazil
- SAAF receives Gripen support contract
- Saab wins Brazil jet deal after NSA spying sours Boeing bid
- Saab hasn’t given up on Fighter Weapon School in SA
- SANDF supporting Mandela commemoration, burial
- Ysterplaat pulling out all the stops for Wings & Wheels show
Saab wins LEDS-50 MK2 launch order
by Saab, 18 September 2014
The LEDS-50 MK2 provides additional protection to the vehicle and crew by detecting the presence of latest generation laser threats.
Denel positive about participating at 8th Africa Aerospace and Defence show
by Denel Corporate, 18 September 2014
The company aims to reconfirm its leadership within the hi-tech aerospace and defence markets in Africa.
Through-life support communication systems
by Reutech, 18 September 2014
The demonstrations of an integrated communications on the move platform will take place at AAD 2014.
Global defence trends to be discussed at conference hosted by Denel
by Denel Corporate, 15 September 2014
The inaugural Denel Aerospace and Defence Conference will offer intense discussions on the challenges and opportunities facing the industry.
Reutech equipped for Project Biro
by Reutech, 15 September 2014
The company is able to supply equipment and services to the SA Navy programme for the procurement of offshore and inshore patrol vessels.
NATO milestone - RRS delivers first major export order on product level
by Reutech, 12 September 2014
All five RSR 210Ns from Reutech Radar Systems have been fully accepted into the Royal Norwegian Navy.