SAAF maintaining IRIS-T
Written by defenceWeb, Monday, 23 May 2011
The infra-red guided IRIS-T was acquired as an interim weapon for Gripen of which the SAAF now have nine two-seat examples and nine single-seaters – including one still in Sweden. The fleet will stand at 26 by next year, a year before the first Denel Dynamics A-Darter 5th generation SRAAM is delivered to the SAAF. The IRIS-T (Infra Red Imaging System Tail/Thrust Vector-Controlled) missiles were delivered in late 2009 and debuted aboard the Gripen at a parade in January last year to mark the 90th birthday of the SAAF. The wikipedia claims the modern missile costs about €400 000 each.
Chief of the Air Force (CAF) Lt Gen Carlo Gagiano in 2009 said the SAAF was contemplating a beyond visual range AAM (BVRAAM) for Gripen, but added that high integration costs and a tight budget this would likely mean the choice of a weapon already integrated by the original equipment manufacturer. Denel Dynamics, the state arsenal business unit developing the A-Darter with Brazil under a billion rand programme dubbed Project Assegaai, had hoped to develop a local radar-guided BVRAAM for Gripen, provisionally called the T-Darter. SAAB is currently integrating the MBDA Meteor BVRAAM onto the Gripen for the Swedish Air Force.
Purging of missile and rental of gas filling equipment forthe Iris-T systems - extension of ETMG/2007/423
– TMG/S2010/0121 18 Nov 2010 R42 600,00 Diehl BGT Defence
READ MOREDiehl continues IRIS-T surface-to-air testing at Overberg Test Range
Diehl successfully tests IRIS-T SL at Overberg
Sweden buys IRIS-T surface-to-air missiles
– TMG/S2010/0125 19 May 2011 R31 950,00 Diehl BGT Defence
Procurement of an interim short range Air-to-Air missile - extension of ETMG/2007/423
– UKZ/S2009/0110 22 Apr 2010 R601 192,50 Diehl BGT Defence
Interim fifth generation short range air-to-air missile for the RSA Gripen
– ETMG/2007/423 29 May 2008 R101 801 890,95 Diehl BGT Defence
Top stories this week
- AEEI acquires 25% of Saab Grintek Defence
- Another adjournment for the Seriti Commission
- Saab Grintek Defence’s Impi blue force tracker gets first export order
- A-Darter contract moves missile programme forward
- Saab Grintek Defence growing as global EW player
- Saab Grintek Defence receives R940 million orders for Indian self-protection systems
- IRIS-T SL achieves qualification after successful firings at Overberg
- Another change to Seriti witness schedule
- SAAF should consider selling Gripens and buying transports
- Saab finalizes $5.4 billion Brazil order for 36 fighter jets
Saab, DigitalGlobe announce Vricon joint venture to create the globe in 3D
by Saab, 27 May 2015
The JV will produce photorealistic 3D products and digital elevation models globally for enterprise and government geospatial markets.
Executive appointment brings new vision, expertise to SPP
by Nautic Africa, 26 May 2015
Cape Town-based Southern Power Products has strengthened its executive team with the appointment of Jacques Brümmer as CEO.
Paramount's Anti-Poaching and K9 Academy scoops top global, South African awards for best PR campaign
by Paramount Group, 22 May 2015
The company was awarded a Gold Sabre in the Geographic Category for Africa for Paramount's K9 Anti-Poaching Awareness Campaign.
Saab receives order for artillery ammunition
by Saab, 20 May 2015
Work on the SEK 114 million order will be performed by Saab's subsidiary, Saab Bofors Dynamics Switzerland.
Airbus Defence and Space launches satellite data management solution for machine-to-machine networks
by AIRBUS Defence & Space, 5 May 2015
The satellite data management solution for machine-to-machine networks provides visibility and control of satellite data in a single multi-device solution.
Upgraded PS-05/A radar gives Gripen C/D extended performance, operating range
by Saab, 29 April 2015
The PS-05/A Mk4's hardware configuration with a new radar back-end gives improved radar performance and operational range, says Saab.