SAAF maintaining IRIS-T
Written by defenceWeb, Monday, 23 May 2011
The infra-red guided IRIS-T was acquired as an interim weapon for Gripen of which the SAAF now have nine two-seat examples and nine single-seaters – including one still in Sweden. The fleet will stand at 26 by next year, a year before the first Denel Dynamics A-Darter 5th generation SRAAM is delivered to the SAAF. The IRIS-T (Infra Red Imaging System Tail/Thrust Vector-Controlled) missiles were delivered in late 2009 and debuted aboard the Gripen at a parade in January last year to mark the 90th birthday of the SAAF. The wikipedia claims the modern missile costs about €400 000 each.
Chief of the Air Force (CAF) Lt Gen Carlo Gagiano in 2009 said the SAAF was contemplating a beyond visual range AAM (BVRAAM) for Gripen, but added that high integration costs and a tight budget this would likely mean the choice of a weapon already integrated by the original equipment manufacturer. Denel Dynamics, the state arsenal business unit developing the A-Darter with Brazil under a billion rand programme dubbed Project Assegaai, had hoped to develop a local radar-guided BVRAAM for Gripen, provisionally called the T-Darter. SAAB is currently integrating the MBDA Meteor BVRAAM onto the Gripen for the Swedish Air Force.
Purging of missile and rental of gas filling equipment forthe Iris-T systems - extension of ETMG/2007/423
– TMG/S2010/0121 18 Nov 2010 R42 600,00 Diehl BGT Defence
READ MOREDiehl continues IRIS-T surface-to-air testing at Overberg Test Range
Diehl successfully tests IRIS-T SL at Overberg
Sweden buys IRIS-T surface-to-air missiles
– TMG/S2010/0125 19 May 2011 R31 950,00 Diehl BGT Defence
Procurement of an interim short range Air-to-Air missile - extension of ETMG/2007/423
– UKZ/S2009/0110 22 Apr 2010 R601 192,50 Diehl BGT Defence
Interim fifth generation short range air-to-air missile for the RSA Gripen
– ETMG/2007/423 29 May 2008 R101 801 890,95 Diehl BGT Defence
- IRIS-T SL achieves qualification after successful firings at Overberg
- Another change to Seriti witness schedule
- SAAF should consider selling Gripens and buying transports
- Saab finalizes $5.4 billion Brazil order for 36 fighter jets
- Saab Grintek Defence moves into mining sector with launch order for mobile medical system
- Saab’s Impi effectively tracking blue forces
- Diehl tests Vulcano precision guided ammunition at Alkantpan
- South Africa hosts Gripen User Group
- Saab Grintek Defence looks to grow African business
- No Gripen for Switzerland, but Czech Republic confirms continued support
European Data Relay System confirms services for Copernicus in co-operation with European Commission
by AIRBUS Defence & Space, 26 February 2015
An agreement was reached with the European Commission for the provision of European Data Relay System services to the EU Copernicus programme
Paramount Group announces multi-million dollar contract for production of world-leading combat vehicles in Jordan
by Paramount Group, 25 February 2015
Paramount Group has been awarded a multi-million dollar contract for the production of the combat vehicles in Jordan.
Paramount Group to announce new deals, partnerships, technologies at IDEX 2015
by Paramount Group, 24 February 2015
The company will announce new deals, partnerships and technologies at the Middle East defence exhibition this week.
Poynting Holdings to acquire leading US-based antenna company, ARA
by Poynting Antennas, 20 February 2015
Antenna Research Associates is considered almost a replication of Poynting DS, but with more than 90% of sales being in the USA.
DSI offers sniper training with Braddick Mk X sniper rifles
by Decisive Solutions International, 17 February 2015
Decisive Solutions International has the agency and distributorship for the Braddick Mk X Special Forces Sniper Rifle, a .338 Lapua Magnum sniping system.
Saab to supply key components in support of US Marine Corps Ground/Air Task Oriented Radar programme
by Saab, 16 February 2015
The company will supply key components in support of the US Marine Corps Ground/Air Task Oriented Radar programme.