SAAF maintaining IRIS-T
Written by defenceWeb, Monday, 23 May 2011
The infra-red guided IRIS-T was acquired as an interim weapon for Gripen of which the SAAF now have nine two-seat examples and nine single-seaters – including one still in Sweden. The fleet will stand at 26 by next year, a year before the first Denel Dynamics A-Darter 5th generation SRAAM is delivered to the SAAF. The IRIS-T (Infra Red Imaging System Tail/Thrust Vector-Controlled) missiles were delivered in late 2009 and debuted aboard the Gripen at a parade in January last year to mark the 90th birthday of the SAAF. The wikipedia claims the modern missile costs about €400 000 each.
Chief of the Air Force (CAF) Lt Gen Carlo Gagiano in 2009 said the SAAF was contemplating a beyond visual range AAM (BVRAAM) for Gripen, but added that high integration costs and a tight budget this would likely mean the choice of a weapon already integrated by the original equipment manufacturer. Denel Dynamics, the state arsenal business unit developing the A-Darter with Brazil under a billion rand programme dubbed Project Assegaai, had hoped to develop a local radar-guided BVRAAM for Gripen, provisionally called the T-Darter. SAAB is currently integrating the MBDA Meteor BVRAAM onto the Gripen for the Swedish Air Force.
Purging of missile and rental of gas filling equipment forthe Iris-T systems - extension of ETMG/2007/423
– TMG/S2010/0121 18 Nov 2010 R42 600,00 Diehl BGT Defence
READ MOREDiehl continues IRIS-T surface-to-air testing at Overberg Test Range
Diehl successfully tests IRIS-T SL at Overberg
Sweden buys IRIS-T surface-to-air missiles
– TMG/S2010/0125 19 May 2011 R31 950,00 Diehl BGT Defence
Procurement of an interim short range Air-to-Air missile - extension of ETMG/2007/423
– UKZ/S2009/0110 22 Apr 2010 R601 192,50 Diehl BGT Defence
Interim fifth generation short range air-to-air missile for the RSA Gripen
– ETMG/2007/423 29 May 2008 R101 801 890,95 Diehl BGT Defence
- SAAF should consider selling Gripens and buying transports
- Saab finalizes $5.4 billion Brazil order for 36 fighter jets
- Saab Grintek Defence moves into mining sector with launch order for mobile medical system
- Saab’s Impi effectively tracking blue forces
- Diehl tests Vulcano precision guided ammunition at Alkantpan
- South Africa hosts Gripen User Group
- Saab Grintek Defence looks to grow African business
- No Gripen for Switzerland, but Czech Republic confirms continued support
- Saab components for Badger
- Saab Grintek Defence wins Exporter Award for second year in a row
Collaboration key to finding security solutions for Africa's oil and gas industry
by Nautic Africa, 27 November 2014
Collaboration between the heads of security of oil and gas companies and suppliers to the industry will help minimise security challenges, says Nautic Africa.
Airbus Defence and Space presents TH9, its new Tetra hand-portable radio with enhanced performance
by AIRBUS Defence & Space, 25 November 2014
The Tetra hand-portable radio provides wider coverage, high output power, Bluetooth connectivity and location-based applications.
DSI successfully concludes African military contract
by Decisive Solutions International, 21 November 2014
Decisive Solutions International delivered the advisory services contract to the military of an African government six months ahead of time.
New radar ensures superiority of Eurofighter
by AIRBUS Defence & Space, 21 November 2014
Airbus Defence and Space is playing a major role in the development and integration of the Captor-E radar.
The Atlantis Group extends Aviation business depth
by Atlantis Corporation, 19 November 2014
The dedicated aviation company, known as Atlantis Aviation, will serve new opportunities in the SADEC region.
Airbus Defence and Space awarded EUR13m periscope maintenance facility for India
by AIRBUS Defence & Space, 19 November 2014
The company's Optronics business unit will deliver a periscope maintenance facility in Delhi for the Indian Ministry of Defence.