SAAF maintaining IRIS-T
Written by defenceWeb, Monday, 23 May 2011
The infra-red guided IRIS-T was acquired as an interim weapon for Gripen of which the SAAF now have nine two-seat examples and nine single-seaters – including one still in Sweden. The fleet will stand at 26 by next year, a year before the first Denel Dynamics A-Darter 5th generation SRAAM is delivered to the SAAF. The IRIS-T (Infra Red Imaging System Tail/Thrust Vector-Controlled) missiles were delivered in late 2009 and debuted aboard the Gripen at a parade in January last year to mark the 90th birthday of the SAAF. The wikipedia claims the modern missile costs about €400 000 each.
Chief of the Air Force (CAF) Lt Gen Carlo Gagiano in 2009 said the SAAF was contemplating a beyond visual range AAM (BVRAAM) for Gripen, but added that high integration costs and a tight budget this would likely mean the choice of a weapon already integrated by the original equipment manufacturer. Denel Dynamics, the state arsenal business unit developing the A-Darter with Brazil under a billion rand programme dubbed Project Assegaai, had hoped to develop a local radar-guided BVRAAM for Gripen, provisionally called the T-Darter. SAAB is currently integrating the MBDA Meteor BVRAAM onto the Gripen for the Swedish Air Force.
Purging of missile and rental of gas filling equipment forthe Iris-T systems - extension of ETMG/2007/423
– TMG/S2010/0121 18 Nov 2010 R42 600,00 Diehl BGT Defence
READ MOREDiehl continues IRIS-T surface-to-air testing at Overberg Test Range
Diehl successfully tests IRIS-T SL at Overberg
Sweden buys IRIS-T surface-to-air missiles
– TMG/S2010/0125 19 May 2011 R31 950,00 Diehl BGT Defence
Procurement of an interim short range Air-to-Air missile - extension of ETMG/2007/423
– UKZ/S2009/0110 22 Apr 2010 R601 192,50 Diehl BGT Defence
Interim fifth generation short range air-to-air missile for the RSA Gripen
– ETMG/2007/423 29 May 2008 R101 801 890,95 Diehl BGT Defence
- Diehl tests Vulcano precision guided ammunition at Alkantpan
- South Africa hosts Gripen User Group
- Saab Grintek Defence looks to grow African business
- No Gripen for Switzerland, but Czech Republic confirms continued support
- Saab components for Badger
- Saab Grintek Defence wins Exporter Award for second year in a row
- Saab opens Botswana office
- Saab's Carl-Gustaf man-portable weapon system selected as standard issue for US Army
- Diehl continues IRIS-T surface-to-air testing at Overberg Test Range
- Brazil going Gripen
Eurofighter submits bid to Denmark
by Cassidian, 28 July 2014
Airbus Defence and Space has bid for the replacement of Denmark's fleet of F-16 fighters.
Egypt orders eight more Airbus C295 tactical transports
by Cassidian, 23 July 2014
The new batch of aircraft will be delivered to the Egyptian Air Force by Airbus Defence and Space at the beginning of next year.
Thales I-Master radar gets new maritime mode
by Thales, 23 July 2014
Maritime Moving Target Indication mode tracks small, fast-moving craft to larger, slower vessels, in all weather conditions.